Like Tree4Likes

Filling up: Petrol and Diesel fuel prices in the HKSAR

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    If petrol is cheaper in the Mainland, then presumably with cross-border driving, one could just pop over and fill up the tank?
    Sinopec station's watery diesel blamed for string of damaged trucks | South China Morning Post

here reason why even reputable pumping stations in china has issues on quality let alone dodgy ones which are cheap and probably ruin engine or even worse illegal ones in back streets of shenzhen

yes, also a few years ago , dodgy petrol and substandard diesel was be sold at illegal places in NT until they were clamped down, most of the uses have complained of engine problems ( most light goods vehicle, boy racers and few others)

there was one case of dodgy illegal pump exploding in tuen mun

非法柴油站多到爆 - 東方日報

a

If petrol is cheaper in the Mainland, then presumably with cross-border driving, one could just pop over and fill up the tank?
    do you drive regularly in HK? if yes, how much is the value of your car? if less than HK$20k and over 12 years old then, why not, then you try and find those illegal pump stations in NT, during 2011, reported over 100 places, not sure if any still exist

if after a year of significant savings on illegal fuel cost and assuming that your car is still operational, or that you don't get caught by the authority, (btw, to most car owners, highest aspect of car ownership is not the fuel, it's the parking cost) then you know it's worth it

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    or that you don't get caught by the authority
    I don't think they do tank checks in HK as they do in Europe to find people that use (untaxed) heating oil instead of (taxed) diesel.

I never used one of those illegal filling stations. And I wouldn't. Firstly, one can safely assume that those people that run those filling stations are not the most honest to begin with. So it's quite likely that the 50L on the clock are more like 40L in your tank.

Petrol quality is another problem. If their storage was filled with diesel a while ago, and hence the petrol had traces of diesel in it, your car will be a nice smoke generator for a few weeks.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    There's an app or website for that.
    Great I found it - it's by the Consumer Council

Does Sinopec have a loyalty card, as I can't seem to find anything about it?

Havent heard of one for Sinopec

Ain't you using those cheap knock off illegal petrol, it's a third the price of regular places , they don't have loyalty cards and only accept cash

China Petroleum (specifically, I use the one by the entrance to Tung Chung Road) gives you $2.1 off per litre at the moment with their loyalty card. If you don't have one, the staff are happy to let you use theirs.

At Sinopec I often find similar discounts, though it does vary between branches I find. I've found cases where their regular petrol was discounted $0.9 only, but the premium one by $2.x, which made it cheaper than the regular. Bizarre.

Am keen to see what discounts the other brands offer, as I hear other drivers claim they get better performance - e.g. with Caltex or Shell. Anyone ever found performance differences?

Original Post Deleted
    How do you get the Sinopec loyalty card?

Original Post Deleted
    How do you get the Sinopec loyalty card?
    Last edited by dossier; 24-07-2015 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Duplicate - apologies