Like Tree9Likes

Cross border driving

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Cross border driving

With increasing cross-border driving, the 2012 Guangdong-HK trial scheme, and the soon-to-be opened HZMB, when getting a new private car in HK for personal use:

1. Is it best to get a dual-plated car (HK and Guangdong registration plates)? Or is that likely unnecessary given the future schemes to allow HK plated vehicles into Guangdong?

2. What about driving from Lantau to Macau once the HZMB opens? Do you have to be a Chinese Citizen of the HKSAR to drive from HK to Macau?

3. Are there any thoughts on appropriate car insurance policies that cover HK, Macau and Guangdong?

From my limited knowledge, the Chinese license plate for a HK car requires a certain investment. So either have to invest in China, or buy that right from somebody that invests in China, and selling the car rights. I wouldn't be surprised if that's many HK$100,000

But the situation might have changed now.....

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    With increasing cross-border driving, the 2012 Guangdong-HK trial scheme, and the soon-to-be opened HZMB, when getting a new private car in HK for personal use:

1. Is it best to get a dual-plated car (HK and Guangdong registration plates)? Or is that likely unnecessary given the future schemes to allow HK plated vehicles into Guangdong?

2. What about driving from Lantau to Macau once the HZMB opens? Do you have to be a Chinese Citizen of the HKSAR to drive from HK to Macau?

3. Are there any thoughts on appropriate car insurance policies that cover HK, Macau and Guangdong?

1. If you qualify, it's best to get the dual-plate. I doubt that the Chinese government will start giving them away for free in the near future. Minimum investment is 8 mil HKD and 300k annual tax (In a business in Guangdong province). You can buy a plate on the black-market, from someone who doesn't need his anymore. Shenzhen Bay is about 1mil HKD, Lok Ma Chau about 1.2 mil.
    The cars can only drive within Guangdong province and not enter the rest of China.

2. AFAIK the proposal right now is to only allow dual-plate cars on the bridge, they can exit to the Mainland via Zhuhai or park near the Macau border. It won't be possible to enter Macau with HK cars and vice-versa.

3. Yes, you have to purchase car insurance for the Mainland, it is sold at the place the HK cars have to do the Chinese MOT.

You must have a Chinese drivers license to drive on the Mainland and a residence permit if you don't have a Home Return Permit.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 30-06-2015 at 09:21 PM.

my previous neighbour, rented his dual plate out for I think 20K a month, not sure on the exact price.

imparanoic and Enderman like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Heck, why not

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    my previous neighbour, rented his dual plate out for I think 20K a month, not sure on the exact price.
    Yeah...5 years ago it was 12k...you also need to have a Chinese driving licence...there are ways but I think you'd attract attention...I'm assuming you're not Chinese OP?

I looked at all this several years ago and subbing a car with driver was the only sensible way....

Oh dont forget also that if your HK car has a Chinese plate also, the value of the CAR drops a LOT.

Why would it? It's the opposite, actually. Only serviced on the mainland means no HK service record, easiery to manipulate mileage. Higher resale value

I would be interested to know how many cross border plates are issued? Is the number increasing every year? Sure seems like I'm seeing a lot more black plates now than I did 5 years ago....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast