Like Tree9Likes

What's the sweet spot for buying a used car?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What's the sweet spot for buying a used car?

I have been living in HK for ages without owning a car, but with a second baby on the way, it seems about time to get one. Not really a car person and I don't need luxury...will mainly use on weekends. My main criteria are i) ample room for a tall driver, ii) safety & reliability iii) low cost of ownership (hopefully 5+ years hassle-free) / good gas mileage. With this in mind, how old a vehicle should I be targeting to get the best value? Which models should I shortlist (Camry, Accord, etc.?). How can I determine if a price is fair? Any rules of thumb? Any compelling reason to opt for a new car?

Quote Originally Posted by c1000:
    I have been living in HK for ages without owning a car, but with a second baby on the way, it seems about time to get one. Not really a car person and I don't need luxury...will mainly use on weekends. My main criteria are i) ample room for a tall driver, ii) safety & reliability iii) low cost of ownership (hopefully 5+ years hassle-free) / good gas mileage. With this in mind, how old a vehicle should I be targeting to get the best value? Which models should I shortlist (Camry, Accord, etc.?). How can I determine if a price is fair? Any rules of thumb? Any compelling reason to opt for a new car?
    A 4 or 5 year old Hyundai ( current shape 8 airbag equiped ) Tucson with about 30 to 40,000km on the clock would tick all your requirements. Cheaper to maintain than a Toyota which are a lot pricier for parts here than they are in the USA and Australia.

Good utility, ease of access in Regard to getting kids in and out of car seats as you don't need to bend down as much as a low riding passenger car.

Price for a well maintained example with complete Hyundai service books would cost you between $95,000 to $120,000hkd.

Resale value is very solid for these also and they're comfortable to drive/handle over hong kongs shit roads, ie ground clearance etc. Fuel consumption is about the same as a carmry 2.4. 8 to 11 litres per 100km real world fuel consumption.

My 2cents worth.
    wtbhotia and traineeinvestor like this.

Alphard Alphard Alphard

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Alphard Alphard Alphard
    Old mans car!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Old mans car!
    Vellfire Vellfire Vellfire its for the younger generation at Heart Waahaahaaa

I wish I could do this to my alphard, it would look great in da villages at night LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX1fsnSnc3w

@c1000 to get back to your questions.

1. What is your budget going to be like
    2. Do you want a CAR or could you see yourself in a SUV or MPV with electric doors etc
    3. How long do you plan to be in HK (buy 2nd hand or new) Personally I wouldnt buy NEW, so many 2nd hand cars 5-6 years old with great prices

If I were to get a new car, my frame of reference would be a Camry, Accord or something like that which runs around ~300k. With a used car, I wouldn't want to compromise too much on reliability, but wouldn't want to go over 200k, <150k would be even better. I'm mainly considering mid-size sedans, but wouldn't mind an SUV if the fuel mileage isn't bad. In HK for some time to come, unless I lose my job...

C1000...

If you can stretch it, I'd hold off and wait for the new 2016 Hyundai Tucson, which has benefited MASSIVELY by having a LOT of European engineering & design input of this totally new vehicle. Pretty impressive for what you get for your money on this one and fantastic to see Hyundai address its own engineering limitations so it can improve its product to much better value for money than the Japanese can provide. If I am honest, I reckon this new 2016 model is the best looking compact cross-over SUV under $50,000USD sold on the market. Got to give credit where credit is due. Hyundai has done a fantastic job.

I drove a top line spec 2013 model Hyundai IX35 turbo diesel with sat nav + premium infotainment system ( produced in Czechoslovakia ) which was the previous model Tucson, in France 2 years ago,( 4000km in it ) and I was very impressed by how well packaged, comfortable and good looking the vehicle was for the money. This new one is going to be WAY better again!

Considering you can buy these in HK brand new for about $250,000 I reckon thats ripper value. Also, consider that if Hyundai HK have any demo 2015 models in stock prior to release of the new 2016 model, or old brand new stock, they will tear the guts out of the price, so you will likely get 30 - 50K off the usual price inc new car warranty.
    worth thinking about.

Last edited by Skyhook; 11-08-2015 at 12:33 AM.

For ultimate fuel economy in a standard petrol engine without any compromise in performance, the new vw passat, even the tsi 1.4 at 150 bhp is decent and is on the lowest Road tax, yet, fuel consumption is the lowest for car if it's size(same class as camry and accord), but it's not cheap new

The reason why is fuel efficient, technology advances such as variable displacement (act - active cylinder technology, closes cylinder when cruise mode), dsg - dual sequential gearing, thus, two clutches and 7 gears, small displacement but turbo aspiration, and stop start engine to save fuel, compare the last fuel consumption statistics with its competitors

Experience the new Passat in 2 trim versions. < The new Passat < Models < Volkswagen Hongkong

Highlights < The new Passat < Models < Volkswagen Hongkong

Why not test drive this passat as well as camry and accord and compare what's best for yourself

Last edited by imparanoic; 11-08-2015 at 06:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:

The reason why is fuel efficient, technology advances such as variable displacement (act - active cylinder technology, closes cylinder when cruise mode), dsg - dual sequential gearing, thus, two clutches and 7 gears, small displacement but turbo aspiration, and stop start engine to save fuel, compare the last fuel consumption statistics with its competitors
    I think you need to pull your head out of the VW product catalogue Imp.

Most brands equip their vehicles with engine stop start technology in Europe, very common in fact. Even the 2013 Hyundai IX35 I drove in France had the feature when you sat idle at traffic lights.

The new Hyundai Tucson has available a 1.6 litre engine ( 5 motors to choose from ) and a 7 speed dual clutch gearbox on the higher spec models, engine stop start, should be standard unless Zung FU ( the hyundai distributor in HK ) deleted the option because HK people might not like the feature. the Koreans have definitely caught up though.

And yeah, I never thought I'd be excited by a Korean car manufacturer, but I am impressed enough to buy this new one, they really got their shit together. Fingers crossed that Hong Kong gets the top line 2.0 turbo diesel model, I'll be first in line with the cash on the table, while it makes the VW Tiguan look stupidly over priced, if not awkward looking.

Hyundai is going to kick some major Small SUV butt with this new one.

And while we are on the subject of Passats, you've obviously worked on a VW passat before Imp ? got your hands dirty under the bonnet ? Ever tried to replace ( usually a simple job ) an engine thermostat on one ? To gain access to the thermostat you need to remove the whole front bumper bar, what sort of arsehole does that ? VW does, thats who..
    They might be nice to drive, they arent nice to fix....And I am talking from experience having helped a mate of mine repair his 2008 Passat Variant that was suffering temperature surge due to a text book seized thermostat.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 11-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast