Like Tree32Likes

Costs of owning a car in Hong Kong - updated version

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I live in Jordan and just did some research on parking around my building. Seems like the going rate now is HK$3,900.. Which seems a bit ridiculous!

Search - ParkingHK.com

try this website
    mlclau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    OP, where abouts do you live? As that will give you a good indication on the monthly parking costs. As mentioned on another thread, one of my uncles live in Jordan. He can park on the street downstairs but he'll have to pay 'tor day', monthly fees to the local triads, but he choose to park in Yuen Long (I guess he takes the west rail line from Austin station) and pays just about 1.5k per month.
    I'm really curious about this; how does one get in touch to "rent" a spot from those "tor day"s? Do they approach you after seeing you park? Or they leave a note on your car after seeing you around for a few days? And how does one confirm if they are legit; it'd be frustrating if you paid one already and then another one comes along and says the turf is actually his?

And do they give any special protection like calling you if cops are coming around for tickets? haha

How much would one on average pay on fuel costs per month?

Quote Originally Posted by cjt:
    How much would one on average pay on fuel costs per month?
    Our driving is fairly minimal - 15-20kms a day on an average. Spend about 800-1000 a month on petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Our driving is fairly minimal - 15-20kms a day on an average. Spend about 800-1000 a month on petrol.
    what car do you drive?

i do the same and only spend HK$5-600 on my vw golf 1.4 tsi

Hyundai Tucson - not as efficient as a VW golf for sure.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Hyundai Tucson - not as efficient as a VW golf for sure.
    what year is your car, how much is the yearly service cost for a Hyundai?

but much bigger in space for the passengers and a really massive boot

there again, your car is more efficient than a Volvo x90, i presume the petrol cost will be at least double due it's AWD

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    what year is your car, how much is the yearly service cost for a Hyundai?

but much bigger in space for the passengers and a really massive boot

there again, your car is more efficient than a Volvo x90, i presume the petrol cost will be at least double due it's AWD
    A little bit over 5 years old - 2010 model. Maintenance cost has been minimal other than servicing. Servicing - 6 month oil change / tire rotation etc etc at local garage, 12 month service at Hyundai (again not too expensive.. fluids / filter change). Between 4-6K a year.

Will have to spend a bit this year on new tires (first change).

Additional costs - Random meter & car parks / tunnel tolls / AA fees (lifetime family membership) / annual tax / Insurance through AA.
    Last edited by shri; 20-01-2016 at 10:49 AM.
    imparanoic and Skyhook like this.

Is the total cost of ownership of a car lower or higher when compared to taking taxi every time if:
    1. I live in rural area (e.g. Tuen Mun) and drive it to work in another rural area (e.g. Pak Shek Kok) every working day;
    2. I live in rural area and drive it to work in the city (e.g. Tsim Sha Tsui) every working day;
    3. I live in rural area and drive it only to a metro station nearby and take metro to work, and drive it to other rural areas on holidays?