Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree32Likes

Costs of owning a car in Hong Kong - updated version

Is the total cost of ownership of a car lower or higher when compared to taking taxi every time if:
    1. I live in rural area (e.g. Tuen Mun) and drive it to work in another rural area (e.g. Pak Shek Kok) every working day;
    2. I live in rural area and drive it to work in the city (e.g. Tsim Sha Tsui) every working day;
    3. I live in rural area and drive it only to a metro station nearby and take metro to work, and drive it to other rural areas on holidays?

Cars are only used around 2-5% of the time over their life.

Having so many vehicles parked all the time is a precious waste of finite land resources.

If the Hong Kong government were a little less in the pocket of the big property developers they would insist that every new development reserved 10-20% of the parking spaces for 2-3 carpooling companies. As many drivers are casual rather than commuters this approach would free up land and allow more people to enjoy the freedom given by car ownership.

Every new development comes with lots of car parking spaces and the government offers a land premium discount for car parking meaning your car gets cheaper land than cage dwellers. That feels wrong.

Private car usage could be a lot cheaper in Hong Kong with better law making.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast

Private car usage could be a lot cheaper in Hong Kong with better law making.
    I agree, but better law making under the current political system? I doubt it.

unfortunately the recently launched HK car sharing app will struggle as not enough spaces within residential units to make it convenient.

https://www.carshare.hk/

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man
    I agree, but better law making under the current political system?
    Better laws does not assist assimilation with China. So ZERO possibility.

hi i would like to know what is the monthly cost of a parking space around Sheung Wan my mother gave me a house in Sheung Wan 3 minutes walk from Western Market Hong Kong but unfortunately the building does not come with a car park and the car park around my building is all 4 to 5 star hotel car park which will cost me the price of the car i am thinking of purchasing in hong kong for a few month car park rental in those hotel so i want to know if anyone who works around here that knows a building belonging to a bank or insurance office etc that rent out cheap parking space on a yearly basis. Thank you

@GeniusLoci1320 - your best bets are to look for a public parking space or post notices on residential building notice boards saying you're looking for car park space around your residence and pay their monthly rental.

Might not be trivial to rent privately from an owner in a managed residential building. There was another thread here from someone who had rented a space, but was found to be non-resident in the building and had problems accessing their parking area.

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusLoci1320
    hi i would like to know what is the monthly cost of a parking space around Sheung Wan my mother gave me a house in Sheung Wan 3 minutes walk from Western Market Hong Kong but unfortunately the building does not come with a car park and the car park around my building is all 4 to 5 star hotel car park which will cost me the price of the car i am thinking of purchasing in hong kong for a few month car park rental in those hotel so i want to know if anyone who works around here that knows a building belonging to a bank or insurance office etc that rent out cheap parking space on a yearly basis. Thank you
    expect around HK$4000 - 5000, ain't cheap in hk island unless you know personally know some one who owns one
    hin23leung likes this.

i see thank you for your advice seems complicated and expensive to rent a parking lot in Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3