Like Tree62Likes

Why doesn't anyone know how to use a roundabout here?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Legco's inability to do things is a really nice excuse being used by govt heads / management to simply do nothing.
    Yes. But the quality of the many pro-establishment and some Pan-Dem LegCo members is pretty dire.

The fundamental issue is a lack of policy direction. For 2016 the transport policy initiatives from the executive branch of government as mentioned in the Policy Address were adding a few seconds to a handful of pedestrian crossings (near Hospitals etc).

The transport department is very much stuck with 1980's objectives but with ever larger shopping malls for the MTR.

I grew up in the USA, and never learned how to handle roundabouts until driving in the UK and here in HK. Generally found it fine, and did a little checking. But I still got the signalling wrong for years - was convinced signaling a right turn was not correct in any circumstances. I like to think I have learned better since.

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spode:
    I grew up in the USA, and never learned how to handle roundabouts until driving in the UK and here in HK. Generally found it fine, and did a little checking. But I still got the signalling wrong for years - was convinced signaling a right turn was not correct in any circumstances. I like to think I have learned better since.
    Hopefully the next generation of American motorists will have safer junctions.

Intersection Safety Roundabouts - Safety | Federal Highway Administration
    spode likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    C'mon, this is just BS logic. I just exchanged my licence for a Hongkie one without a test ... and I'm a Canadian licenced driver.
    But you probably got your license going through proper training. Have you seen what passes as driving school on the Mainland?

Even the UK got on to the fact that the HK govt gives a license to everybody and their mother.

http://m.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/art...agreement-hong
    @si0001: I'm sure the 30,000 persons exchanging HK licenses every year are from Pakistan and not the Mainland.
    Last edited by mrgoodkat; 15-01-2016 at 07:27 PM.

OK, the prize for the most stupid maneuver at a roundabout goes to the person in front of me yesterday.

Approaching the roundabout on a dual carriageway they wanted to go back the way they came. Instead of driving around the roundabout they turned into the heavy traffic the wrong way to do a u-turn.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    OK, the prize for the most stupid maneuver at a roundabout goes to the person in front of me yesterday.

Approaching the roundabout on a dual carriageway they wanted to go back the way they came. Instead of driving around the roundabout they turned into the heavy traffic the wrong way to do a u-turn.
    As it has taken me 20 minutes to go round a roundabout in Manila before in heavy traffic, I can see why that might be tempting! The only time I went the wrong way around a roundabout was when overseas and I got confused because I was driving on the wrong side of the road.... luckily that was a quiet backstreet.
    hullexile likes this.

All but one driving exam centres do not have roundabouts.

Therefore, drivers are not told how to go thru then except on paper.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7