Like Tree71Likes

Tesla Model 3

Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
  1. #71

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,520
    Lets see how well the Tesla performs and more importantly how well the insurance industry in HK responds to autonomous driving. If my premiums triple... f' that, no need.
    Autonomous driving should make insurance premiums go down, if anything. Computers aren't affected by fatigue and have a much faster reaction time. That also means no drunk idiots getting behind the wheel and crashing into someone else.

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,262

    Something like an Isuzu D-Max with Tesla running gear...that would solve everything for me...


  3. #73

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,404
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyross
    That also means no drunk idiots getting behind the wheel and crashing into someone else.
    ...but hackers might play bouncy car with your car. Just read a few days ago that ALL keyless cars can be hacked to start the car.

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    6,943
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood
    Something like an Isuzu D-Max with Tesla running gear...that would solve everything for me...
    I'd like to see a common platform EV that can offer a vehicle that can have interchangeable use modules, that can be changed from say a four door wagon, to a 4 door topless convertible to a 4 door ute, if you want. Maybe not so useful in HK due to the lack of homes here having their own attached garage to store the modules when not in use, but back in the West, this wouldn't be much, if any constraint.

    The great thing about the future of flat floor electric drive-trains will be that vehicles ( hopefully ) will become so much more practical, lighter and not as energy consuming to manufacture. Think full sized RC car ie the use of light weight recycled plastics for (natural and easily renewable materials ) body panels, attached to a common chassis/frame that can accept various application body parts that the home user can interchange as their needs change. A one vehicle fits all type of scenario. Now wouldnt that be just ace ?

    French architect Jean-Marie Massaud's Toyota MEWE concept gives us an idea where things will be headed in Europe. Great for YOUNG people, who will be easily be able to customise their ride.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 06-04-2016 at 10:56 PM.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

  5. #75

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,121
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyross
    Autonomous driving should make insurance premiums go down, if anything. Computers aren't affected by fatigue and have a much faster reaction time.
    In theory yes. In practice it seems a huge task to program computers to recognize every potential dangerous situation. Quite a lot of accident avoidance relies on human intuition and gut instinct / reaction. A drunk stumbling along the sidewalk for instance, a human driver would give them a wide berth or slow down whereas a computer might not.

  6. #76

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    6,943

    Having driven a new golf in Europe last year over 4000km's fitted with Radar cruise control and AEB, which is pretty nifty for such a mainstream sub 20,000 euro car.

    Now, if this new autonomous technology works as well as AEB does, I dont see any problem as such. I know in Australia it is compulsary for all new cars to have AEB factory standard, which as a feature greatly reduces the instance of pedestrian or object collision, and I have experienced how effective this feature is on a Lexus GS450H we owned. I had a dog run out in front of me on the blind side of a crest ( at night ) I was approaching, the car noticed the dog before I did and hit the brakes before I even moved my foot off the accelerator, the seat belt pretensioners activated, the whole 9 yards. These systems work and pooch lived unscathed for another day!


    So an autonomous vehicle equipped with AEB etc should be no different. I am also very familiar with just how much R & D that American, European and Japanese car manufacturers spend on getting these systems right before they unleash them onto an unsuspecting public. I am sure we'll see scenarios appear where the systems can fail, but would need to research what fail safe systems are already present in the systems architecture. I'd imagine they're pretty thorough at the moment.

    The only thing I can see that might be a potential problem is when you send the car away and it gets lost because of GPS interference when HK can be very smoggy/foggy, add the additional issue of highrise buildings and narrow streets..( greatly weakening GPS signal acquisition). If you happen to be visiting a building in a GPS black spot, how will the vehicle find its way back to you ?

    This wont be much, if any issue in geographies that enjoy wide streets and lower density building infrastructure.



    Last edited by Skyhook; 06-04-2016 at 11:54 PM.
    rickyross and imparanoic like this.

  7. #77

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    a sunny un spoilt paradise
    Posts
    6,943



    Last edited by Skyhook; 07-04-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    rickyross, shri and Apjace like this.

  8. #78

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,520
    Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    ...but hackers might play bouncy car with your car. Just read a few days ago that ALL keyless cars can be hacked to start the car.
    so what are you trying to say? that we shouldn't go autonomous because you're scared of some hacker? then they've won already, have they not?

    you act the systems we have in place are completely safe...some people can even break into your car and drive it away. guess which one is easier - hacking a car wirelessly or smashing a car window with a hammer?

    besides, the chance of someone hacking your car is a lot less than you driving while drunk, missing a light, not braking fast enough, which are all human errors that aren't even possible with a computer.

    have you ever bought anything online with a credit card? hackers might "play atm" with your card, but has that stopped you from buying online? what if you lose your wallet somewhere and someone uses your credit card for a shopping spree? how many people has that stopped from using a CC compared to those who still use one every day, etc.

    heck, we have all these systems to protect your bank accounts from whoever is trying to steal from you in place, but people still lose their fortunes to phone scammers.

    there's always that initial resistance to new technology, then a few years down the line nobody can think of life without it.

    if it scares you so much...then don't buy it!

  9. #79

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tsim Sha Tsui
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyross
    so what are you trying to say? that we shouldn't go autonomous because you're scared of some hacker? then they've won already, have they not?

    you act the systems we have in place are completely safe...some people can even break into your car and drive it away. guess which one is easier - hacking a car wirelessly or smashing a car window with a hammer?

    besides, the chance of someone hacking your car is a lot less than you driving while drunk, missing a light, not braking fast enough, which are all human errors that aren't even possible with a computer.

    have you ever bought anything online with a credit card? hackers might "play atm" with your card, but has that stopped you from buying online? what if you lose your wallet somewhere and someone uses your credit card for a shopping spree? how many people has that stopped from using a CC compared to those who still use one every day, etc.

    heck, we have all these systems to protect your bank accounts from whoever is trying to steal from you in place, but people still lose their fortunes to phone scammers.

    there's always that initial resistance to new technology, then a few years down the line nobody can think of life without it.

    if it scares you so much...then don't buy it!
    There's the human safety element which you've missed out on your examples.

    If a thief smashed in your car windows and then drove off with it, it wouldn't endanger your life. But if a hacker had let some malicious code so that it will affect the car's running whilst you are in the car, then it'll be a danger to yourself.

    Hackers play an important role in electronics, in many cases they serve to highlight the vulnerabilities of a system. As in the case by the previous poster that even in this day and age any electronic key entry car can be hacked and driven off, that itself highlights the vulnerability of EV systems. For a healthy system, when technology evolves, so must the protection it has, but in this case it seems to have fallen way behind already.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Clear Water Bay (In Da Jungle)
    Posts
    10,055
    Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Lets see how the Tesla algorithms work when they're pitted against @wtbhotia and his Alphard.
    There will be $$$$$$$ to be made, immediately cut in front of one, slam on brakes to get rear ended, fake lots of injuries and wait for your bank balance to multiply

    Blame the imaginary Dog running across the road for the accident LOL
    shri likes this.

Reply
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast