Like Tree71Likes

Tesla Model 3

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    The only thing I can see that might be a potential problem is when you send the car away and it gets lost because of GPS interference when HK can be very smoggy/foggy, add the additional issue of highrise buildings and narrow streets..( greatly weakening GPS signal acquisition). If you happen to be visiting a building in a GPS black spot, how will the vehicle find its way back to you ?
    By knowing where they are (recognizing/scanning the area, knowing how they got there, and by cars communicating to each other) - in short - situational awareness for cars. Part of machine learning, deep learning, AI.

I can also imagine that if this takes off they will use more than GPS for location in cities.
    Last edited by 100LL; 07-04-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    shri and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia
    There will be $$$$$$$ to be made, immediately cut in front of one, slam on brakes to get rear ended, fake lots of injuries and wait for your bank balance to multiply

Blame the imaginary Dog running across the road for the accident LOL
    The problem is that your logs ("black box") will reveal you made it all up, including showing a HD video of your facial expression right before you slammed the brakes. The $$$$$$$ will be made by your defense lawyers, right before you end up in Chi Ma Wan prison for a while

Semi related: Insurance companies already start putting devices in vehicles to lower insurance premiums. I assume that all this and more is automatically logged in Teslas and newer generation cars. It's just a matter of linking it up for insurance and law enforcement.
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...ivers-premiums
    Last edited by 100LL; 07-04-2016 at 11:06 AM.
    East_coast likes this.

Regardless of facial expressions etc, I always thought that unless you're reversing into traffic, rear end collisions are always the fault of the driver behind you - they have to maintain a safe distance etc...

Last time I looked at this "the driver in front of me slammed his brakes intentionally" is not a valid excuse. I always think that is why taxi drivers like to slow down when I'm behind them.

(But we're digressing ... what I am most interested in is how much of the deep learning takes into account that there will be significant malicious threats - hacking is not significant compared to HK style delivery vans). I'd really like to see what sort of CPU cycles are consumed to make some of these real time decisions that experienced drivers in HK make... "Alphard with China plates, back the f' away and get in another lane!"

rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL
    By knowing where they are (recognizing/scanning the area, knowing how they got there, and by cars communicating to each other) - in short - situational awareness for cars. Part of machine learning, deep learning, AI.

I can also imagine that if this takes off they will use more than GPS for location in cities.
    Yes the combination of hive communication and collective AI learning is very exciting stuff. So it likely won't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    "Alphard with China plates, back the f' away and get in another lane!"
    Some accidents will not be avoidable even with the latest sensors and software. That means defensive positioning of the car before you make impact.

Do you swing Left or right?

Shouldn't that depend who is in your passenger seat. If it is your child you would probably take the hit on your side, if it was someone you didn't know then their side.

It feels wrong to allow some hipster programmer in the Valley to be making decisions on who lives or dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook
    The great thing about the future of flat floor electric drive-trains will be that vehicles ( hopefully ) will become so much more practical, lighter and not as energy consuming to manufacture.Body shapes attached to a common chassis/frame that can accept various application body parts that the home user can interchange as their needs change. A one vehicle fits all type of scenario. Now wouldnt that be just ace ?
    Hopefully the principle owner of a vehicle will has their standard prefered cab style but if they want to swap it for a roaster for a day or a van then it should be as simple as looking at an app for a free cb to use in your area.

Much like the Zip car in the US or car share in HK concept but just for alternative cabs.

Carshare.hk - ???????? | {{$root.seo.pageTitle}}

Business model innovation will be just just as important as battery technology and product software integration.

Tesla is the new FoMoCo: it's making history, doubters be damned.

Forbes Welcome

Skyhook likes this.

Economics is a strange beast .... with cars and a certain demographic moving to electric, I can see a subsidy on clean petrol powered cars in 10+ years time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    It doesn't have a fantastic record of profitability or scale production though. I wonder how long they can continue to burn cash. I don't think Tesla is like Amazon, in that they're going to create a market then can dominate. The auto industry is far too fragmented, and there are strong national champions with implicit or explicit Government support. The Germans and Japanese in particular have excellent engineers, plenty of cash and strong brand loyalty... AND a history of making cars people together with profitable production. They will be formidable competitors.

I don't really see the end game for Tesla as a company. I think they are great innovators, great engineers and of course customers are going to love a product largely paid for by someone else.
    Well, this is a novel idea.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-a...fit-1532301091

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast