Used cars markets on Kowloon side

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Used cars markets on Kowloon side

Hi,

I'm looking for a used car markets in HK, big ones with choices of left-side stirring wheel. I know there are a few in Kowloon side, close to Tsing Ma Bridge. Can anyone get me directions? Thanks in advance!

not sure about Tsing Ma Bridge, but you will have more choices in Shek Kong (Kam Tin), lots of left-side steering wheel cars up there, but they all look new. Never heard of second hand left-side steering cars market in HK. Maybe I am out of date. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    not sure about Tsing Ma Bridge, but you will have more choices in Shek Kong (Kam Tin), lots of left-side steering wheel cars up there, but they all look new. Never heard of second hand left-side steering cars market in HK. Maybe I am out of date. LOL
    Thanks so much, we'll go and take a look tomorrow. By the way, do you have any idea of what all these new left-side steering wheel cars do in HK? How do they get here and why in HK, where all the cars are right-hand side? Hope there is no criminal behind it... how safe is it to buy them?

Umm, why are you interested in buying a LHD car ?

For a start, Hong Kong would probably be the most expensive location on the planet, to purchased used LHD cars. USA, Canada and the EU are the cheapest in my opinion, and you'll get known service history from there, you won't in Shek Kong...

The LHD cars that are sitting in holding yards in Shek Kong and Kam Tin, are for export to Mainland China, or as wrecks for spares. They are not legally allowed to be registered here in HK.

Also be aware that driving a LHD car isn't easy because all the tolls, ticket dispensers in parking lots, etc are on the right side. You'll have a tough time unless you always have a passenger with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Umm, why are you interested in buying a LHD car ?

For a start, Hong Kong would probably be the most expensive location on the planet, to purchased used LHD cars. USA, Canada and the EU are the cheapest in my opinion, and you'll get known service history from there, you won't in Shek Kong...

The LHD cars that are sitting in holding yards in Shek Kong and Kam Tin, are for export to Mainland China, or as wrecks for spares. They are not legally allowed to be registered here in HK.
    thanks for the comments,
    The price is one thing that is easy to check out - I have a couple of friends saying that buying a LHD car here is still 2-3 times cheaper than in my country, even adjusted for container shipment costs and customs clearance.
    Lack of maintainance history is of a bigger concern...But do you think it is possible to arrange for an independent car check to know the real condition and milage of a car before you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by daduda:
    Thanks so much, we'll go and take a look tomorrow. By the way, do you have any idea of what all these new left-side steering wheel cars do in HK? How do they get here and why in HK, where all the cars are right-hand side? Hope there is no criminal behind it... how safe is it to buy them?
    They are all headed for Mainland, they are Grey/Parallel imports from other countries. Most of them will be driven to the shenzhen border, they go in groups with T-Plates attached. I see a lot of them in Lok Ma Chau customs waiting to cross over.

When buying just be carefull of the paper work. Most of them will only be sold for export anyways.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 31-10-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wayland:
    Also be aware that driving a LHD car isn't easy because all the tolls, ticket dispensers in parking lots, etc are on the right side. You'll have a tough time unless you always have a passenger with you.
    I plan to ship it directly to another country after I buy, won't have any driving experience in LHD car in HK. Looks like they would'n allow it anyway

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    They are all headed for Mainland, they are Grey/Parallel imports from other countries. Most of them will be driven to the shenzhen, they go in groups with T-Plates attached. I see a lot of them in Lok Ma Chau customs waiting to cross over.

When buying just be carefull of the paper work. Most of them will only be sold for export anyways.

Yes, that's actually what I need. But if it is bought for export only (like in my case) do you think I might have problems when clearing it at my country's customs?
    What does the attached T-Plate should mean (sorry, I simply never heard of such a thing)?

Quote Originally Posted by daduda:
    What does the attached T-Plate should mean (sorry, I simply never heard of such a thing)?
    Trade plates, Just means that the car is being delivered or being test driven by a Trader thats all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast