Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tesla's upcoming plan: compact SUV and new kind of pickup truck

In short, Tesla is planning:

• Compact SUV, new type of pickup truck
    • Heavy duty trucks and a new type of passenger bus
    • As predicted, they're aiming for 100% automated driving
    • Ride sharing through autonomy

I'm blown away by Tesla as usual but I'm not as convinced about Teslas in Hong Kong as I used to be. The FRT exemption is going to end soon for the Model S due to the fact that electricity is generated by gas turbines in Hong Kong which makes the Teslas not as "green" as originally thought. I also doubt we're going to see any of the fully automated driving technology in a reasonable amount of time in HK due to the rough driving conditions in Hong Kong - humidity, slopes, stop and go traffic, narrow streets, etc. so that rules automated buses out of the question as well.

That being said, this is the most impressive thing I've read all year, so take the time to read it for yourself:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux
    shri and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    The FRT exemption is going to end soon for the Model S.
    Source?

due to the fact that electricity is generated by gas turbines in Hong Kong which makes the Teslas not as "green" as originally thought.
    PEVs are certainly "greener" than the majority of ICE vehicles on the road and will continue to improve over time.
    imparanoic, Skyhook and East_coast like this.

@emx from the epd page

First Registration Tax for EVs is waived till end March 2017. Furthermore, enterprises which procure EVs are allowed 100% profits tax deduction for the capital expenditure on EVs in the first year of procurement.

http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/english/en...motion_ev.html

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Source?

PEVs are certainly "greener" than the majority of ICE vehicles on the road and will continue to improve over time.
    FRT waived until March 2017 (this is common knowledge already, where have you been?)

Promotion of Electric Vehicles in Hong Kong | Environmental Protection Department

When did I say that EVs aren't better for the environment compared to ICEs? Gas turbine electricity generation in HK and battery disposal are still issues that have to be addressed to improve the environmental impact of EVs.

I like Teslas as much as anyone else but the the incentives for buying a Model S are decreasing by the year in HK - the FRT being reinstated and the fact that it's actually quite expensive (especially after the recent facelift/upgrade). I know the Model 3 is coming out but we haven't even seen any X's yet, it's going to be 2020 before we see the Model 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    FRT waived until March 2017 (this is common knowledge already, where have you been?)
    Been here long enough to know the FRT waiver on PEVs has been extended quite a few times.

But there is always a stress point that this time it might not.

Hard to know what they govt is going to do with cars, unless you are Anthony Leung.

rickyross and Titus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    But there is always a stress point that this time it might not.
    Which, I am willing to bet, is why Elon Musk was here earlier this year..

NT resident chiming in..... even with FRT you're not going to find an ICE car that pays for itself.... 30kms in 10 months; from the fact my last hybrid was getting 8.6 liters/100km and plug in v-power gas prices at 15 dollars a liter, I've saved 38k HKD in 10 months... not to mention my last ICE car's maintenance interval of 75k kms means 7-9k HKD in bills each time (another 36k HKD of savings in maintenance). And the road tax on the 349xcc hybrid was like.... 7k compared to 900 HKD which is cheaper than my motorcycle.... AND.... I'm parking for free from 10am onwards at a Link mall with EV free parking perk near my office.... with free charging (though only 13amp/8kms range per hour speed) let's say that's at least another 2k HKD worth of parking saved per month?

With regards to electric power generated from dirty sources etc etc etc.... (I need to make a cut & paste of this), electricity just goes through existing electrical grid; won't be a fleet of diesel trucks trucking the gas around, nor tanker fleet that breaks up in storms and coats shorelines with oil (I won't go on about wars and terrorism). And here ya go....:

Last edited by Titus; 01-08-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    shri, emx and Skyhook like this.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/768106282251198464

Announcement of the P100D? Powerwall 2.0? Complete autopilot? Who knows...
    Skyhook likes this.

That was the P100 and super ludicrous mode.

Titus likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast