Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Beuze
  • 1 Post By MandM!

recommendations for replacing tires?

Closed Thread

recommendations for replacing tires?

Hello,

I finally need to replace the tires on my 2 year old car. As I have owned cars in several other cities, it's seems a foregone conclusion that it would be (far) cheaper to replace them at an independent tire shop that at the authorised car dealer. I called my original salesman, and he insists that this isn't so, and I should only go back to the dealer for my new tires. Huh?!

Anyway, I don't speak Cantonese or Mandarin, and live in Pokfulam. I'd ideally like to call ahead to a shop that speaks (some) English, get a quote, different brand options and ensure they have stock of the tire specs before I go in. Happy to drive further afield if someone could suggest a reliable shop where an English-speaking gweilo isn't going to get ripped off...?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Where abouts are you located?

I have used a tiny tire shop near us, in Tin Wan (between Pok Fu Lam and Aberdeen) and done ok in terms of pricing - our mechanic in Tin Wan also get things sorted at the same price.

By the way, why do you feel you need to replace the tires? We were told we needed to replace on the 2 year mark by Hyundai (and they promised us that they'd switched brands / new tires were better / more quiet) and we're still going strong - the tread is "ok" and I probably should replace them soon as we're now on the 5/6 year mark.

Yes, I know the shop in Tin Wan. Had to patch a leak a few months back and the guy was super pushy about changing the tires there and then, but I refused and he wasn't too pleased...! I'm happy to go back there so long as I can verify by shopping around that I'm not paying (too large) a gweilo tax!

The threads are pretty worn down now, so I'm certain it's time.

Thanks.

Do you want specific tires? Or the cheapest?

On my car tires were $2500 each. But the guy suggested used tires and I paid $300 each. Was super happy and they still had about 75% of the thread left.

Place was in Yuen Long on Ping Wui Street near the Wellcome grocery. There is a G/F shop and the tire changing process is basically run in the street (you will see a car with the red jacks). Guy spoke enough English.

conundrum likes this.

What car you driving and what size is your tires.

I was paying 1K per each 18" tyres in Kwun Tong. brand new and not used.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    On my car tires were $2500 each. But the guy suggested used tires and I paid $300 each. Was super happy and they still had about 75% of the thread left.

Place was in Yuen Long on Ping Wui Street near the Wellcome grocery. There is a G/F shop and the tire changing process is basically run in the street (you will see a car with the red jacks). Guy spoke enough English.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Might be worth the jaunt out there to check them out. New tires are pricing up at around $2k each, and we are driving an SUV so don't need a specific brand for performance driving.

Do you know your tyre size, mine are 205/16/55, call and ask for prices from tyre dealer then compare with official dealership

Just to update that I ended up choosing this shop - 國華膠輪汽車用品 Kwok Wah Tyre & Motoring Accessories CO. - in Kowloon.

Called ahead for a quote which was within expectations. Both the owner and his son speak perfect English. Pleased with the outcome.