Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey

Range Rover Grey Imports?

Closed Thread

Range Rover Grey Imports?

Does anyone know a shop importing new Range Rovers into HK? With the pound being so low I figure the official dealer is charging at least 300K over retail.

Range Rover Sport SCV6 HSE

UK price: 65k GPB, without VAT: 54K GBP that comes to roughly 1.1M HKD after FRT
    China price: 980k RMB which is roughly 1.13M HKD
    HK price: 1.42 mil HKD

Range Rover SCV8 Autobiography

UK price: 104k GBP, without VAT 87k GBP that's roughly 1.8M after FRT
    HK price: 2.36M HKD

That's almost 600k more.

I obviously didn't match the specs exactly, but the difference is huge. Going with a grey importer it might even be possible to get a diesel engine not available through the dealer. (Right now it seems only BMW is offering diesel engines). So far I've only found importers for Lexus and Toyota, none for European cars.

There is a gray market Showroom on Gloucester Road, near Tonnochy Road. Quite famous and been there for 20+ years. Forget the name, Google maps will have it if you go through streetview. Have seen Range Rovers there.

Will check the name if I pass it later today on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Right now it seems only BMW is offering diesel engines.
    MB and Audi have them too. And I think I saw RRovers with a 'D' in its type.

I wonder, can you get one that is suitable for biodiesel and buy untaxed canola oil cheap?

---
    History: Private diesel cars got outlawed in 1995 for new registrations. Seems they allow them only since a few years for private cars now. I guess they need to fulfill EURO 5 or better.

golden century and golden world have the same owner
    金世紀汽車 - Golden Century Motors Co. Ltd.

there is another golden something thats a different owner. they were a sponsor at the formula e

mrgoodkat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    MB and Audi have them too. And I think I saw RRovers with a 'D' in its type.

I guess they need to fulfill EURO 5 or better.
    They need to fulfill Euro 6, so they have only been possible since this year. Neither Audi, MB nor Land Rover are selling diesel SUV currently. BMW is offering the whole X line with diesel engines. Q7 only comes in 4 or 6 cylinder petrol.

I have seen certainly Audi Q? in HK with Diesel. Not sure if they sell them currently, or stopped because of the VW issue.

On 28Car you can find 100 or so 2nd hand Audi TDI

They used to sell them. I think you are right, they might have stopped because of the VW issue.
    Right now they are only offering Q7 40 TFSI quattro and Q7 45 TFSI quattro

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    I wonder, can you get one that is suitable for biodiesel and buy untaxed canola oil cheap?
    I believe (German) manufacurers stopped saying which models are "compatible" to bioDiesel around 2003ish. Not sure if changed now... (I have a 2006 TDI A4 in Europe and looked a few years ago into this).