Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By imparanoic
  • 1 Post By Cheeky Kiwi
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

New UK licence holder - Conversion?

Closed Thread

New UK licence holder - Conversion?

Hi all,

I recently passed my UK driving test in London and was wondering if I could convert it to a HK licence, given that I'm a new driver and all. Thanks!

Do you have a full license or provisional license now?

I doubt they would convert a provisional license here as such.

I have a full

Yes, easy, cost you hkd 900

emx likes this.

Sorry bro, computer says no.

3.1.1.b have held the licence for 5 years or more immediately prior to the application; or

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

You are right and I stand corrected.

Need new glasses!

TheBrit likes this.

Thanks, the only real thing I'm concerned about is this:

• Since the extension of the Probationary Driving Licence Scheme to private car and light goods vehicle on 9.2.2009, a person who has passed the relevant driving tests, is required to apply for a probationary driving licence, and upon satisfactory completion of the 12-month probationary driving period, is eligible for issue of a full driving licence for private car and/ or light goods vehicle. According to the relevant ordinance, "direct issue" mechanism can only allow an eligible applicant with a full driving licence issued by any one of the countries/ places listed under Schedule 4 of the Road Traffic (Driving Licences) Regulations, Cap. 374B, to apply for a Hong Kong full driving licence of the respective vehicle class (motor cycle, private car and light goods vehicle). The "direct issue" mechanism is not applicable to those who only hold a probationary driving licence, or equivalent.

Does my licence act as a probationary driving licence since new drivers are put on a 2 year probationary period in the uk?

So I applied and went in today and they told me that they would only be able to tell me on the 29th if I was successful in converting my license... Is this normal or am I doomed to have to do the test in April (which is the earliest date according to the website's estimate)?

@Eddyish I reckon you will get it but maybe with a P HK license which is Probationary for 1 year only in HK. Hope you do a full one though

Eddyish likes this.

Hmm... I got my US License converted to HK... as long as it hasn't expired then it's good. No questions asked. They gave me the regular 10 year license here. I didn't have to do the Probationary back then. I think the P thing is fairly new.