Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By jaykay
  • 1 Post By jimbo

Two stroke imports

Closed Thread

Arrow Two stroke imports

I'm an old time enthusiast of Yamaha two strokes and thinking about trying to import an RZ350R 1996 into Hong Kong from Japan. It obviously would qualify for an emissions exemption as its over 20 years old, but pretty much all two strokes will emit a puff of smoke under load and with varying throttle conditions so I am wondering if it will still pass inspection because of the "smoke test".

I accept that its not a particularly economic exercise and maybe I could probably just go out and buy a used 4 stroke R6 for the same price but try to humour me. Anybody managed something similar, any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by whytee:
    I'm an old time enthusiast of Yamaha two strokes and thinking about trying to import an RZ350R 1996 into Hong Kong from Japan. It obviously would qualify for an emissions exemption as its over 20 years old, but pretty much all two strokes will emit a puff of smoke under load and with varying throttle conditions so I am wondering if it will still pass inspection because of the "smoke test".

I accept that its not a particularly economic exercise and maybe I could probably just go out and buy a used 4 stroke R6 for the same price but try to humour me. Anybody managed something similar, any advice?
    There is a 2 stroke following here with various bikes being bought in. Know of a few TDR, TZR and RG that have come in over past year. Best to speak with Simon Vallance at Simons Motorcycle Workshop in San Po Kong. He's helped several people put 2 strokes on the road as well as running a few himself. Email: [email protected] or Tel: 9236 0269
    whytee, chuckster007, shri and 1 others like this.

Still a few two strokes running around.
    Seen NSR250's still going etc

whytee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    There is a 2 stroke following here with various bikes being bought in. Know of a few TDR, TZR and RG that have come in over past year. Best to speak with Simon Vallance at Simons Motorcycle Workshop in San Po Kong. He's helped several people put 2 strokes on the road as well as running a few himself. Email: [email protected] or Tel: 9236 0269
    Thanks guys, yes I have seen a few beautiful 250s, there is even a rare TZR250R 3ma that I would really enjoy but the 350 is a similar weight and more robust and will probably run reliably for a few years. They are relatively easy to take care of and there should be lots of spares.