Like Tree37Likes

Tesla / Electric Vehicle First Registration Tax (FRT) Waiver & 2nd Hand Sales

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Yeah, I had a look at 28car, there are maybe around 100 or so. The tax issue is easy to circumvent.

What was the new price then anyway? On 28car they start at around 450K
    Originally cheapest P70 was around 600K. Yes the tax thing can be circumnavigated as long as both parties agree to do so, classic cars are an example of that.

Just had a look at the public car registration data, from April to October there were 15 new Tesla (all models) registered. In March 2017 it was 2939 new Tesla registered. Seems they have a tough time as a 'normal' car.

Pick a month from the link below and look at Table 4.1 (e)

Transport Department - Monthly Traffic and Transport Digest

hullexile likes this.

@flameproof - one of our friends who was seen in a new TESLA - post-FRT-fiasco, told me that they only had the option to lease.

I'm going with the theory that a "finance company" registered a crap ton of teslas before the FRT waiver expired and these are now available to lease as and when they become available.

But emx did point out on another thread that EV registration is down for eGolf and other EV models too.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    But emx did point out on another thread that EV registration is down for eGolf and other EV models too.
    No surprise as the mark up for the 'e' is just too high for any car, not just Tesla.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yea they seem like a good design. Tesla still wins with its established network of Superchargers though.
    And not many of the mainland brands are willing to do the necessary testing and paperwork to sell into a small market in Hong Kong

Original Post Deleted
    I'd rather people spending 800k on a car buy an electric Tesla instead of a gas guzzling E-Class or X5. Because they are still gonna buy a car. But we all know what our government thinks about future technologies.
    Titus likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Hardly the fault of the car owners. The government should have build a trash burning power plant ages ago.
    Titus likes this.

IMHO it's not really a subsidy though. Just offsetting the extra cost of the batteries, everything else is pretty much the same. Price, car size, profit margin etc. Like I said, it's basically 800k for an electric vehicle vs 800k for an comparable gas vehicle. Look across the border, Tesla prices are the same is they were in HK before. Shenzhen even has an all electric bus fleet now, whereas HK can't even get buses and lorries upgraded to EU 5.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast