Like Tree45Likes

My experience of learning to drive in Hong Kong...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Good post, and should be a great resource.

I'm really surprised that there are designated 'test routes' - why not just drive wherever (like in the UK, or I'd imagine most countries)? Is it because of traffic? Even if in Happy Valley, why have a designated route? Curious..

MerMer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Good post, and should be a great resource.

I'm really surprised that there are designated 'test routes' - why not just drive wherever (like in the UK, or I'd imagine most countries)? Is it because of traffic? Even if in Happy Valley, why have a designated route? Curious..
    My thoughts exactly. Unless the learner driver is only ever going to drive the test route and never venture onto any other road in their driving lifetime, then the whole process of teaching to pass the test is flawed.

... but what is that thing about rote learning in HK again???
    MerMer likes this.

This post makes me want to buy a car but ive got nowhere to park it.

6 years I've been back and I've not once driven a car in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemin:
    My thoughts exactly. Unless the learner driver is only ever going to drive the test route and never venture onto any other road in their driving lifetime, then the whole process of teaching to pass the test is flawed.

... but what is that thing about rote learning in HK again???
    It's Hong Kong - they're teaching to the test.
    Firemin and TheBrit like this.

Throttle Pulsing

Quote Originally Posted by i-am-si:
    I'm curious to know if they promoted the idea of pulsing the throttle when driving along motorways? It seems to be a very Hong Kong thing that is widespread amongst the taxis I've been in. They seem to surge the throttle a lot.

Given how wide spread it is I have to believe they're taught that? Maybe they think it saves gas? (it doesn't).

For passengers you're rocking back and forth and for some can make you feel a bit motion sick.

Was there any emphasis on driving smoothly/throttle control or was it just completing the tick boxes?
    YES! While I have seen that here in Taiwan rarely, in HK it seems as if it was taught in drivers training it is so
    prevalent. It is almost as if someone has said this is the correct way to drive, because it surely does not seem like
    a good idea. Having driven hundreds of thousands of miles in all conditions I had never run across this phenomenon
    except in HK.
    shri likes this.

$680 for a double lesson. Pretty steep but it's HK :/

I think it's leftover from before the handover. From what I understand, there used to be designated test routes in England, or at the very least, routes which all the instructors knew were test routes.

It doesn't make much sense to me either. I won't lie, it's easier to pass the test knowing the routes but when it comes to 'real' driving, it isn't that practical. It does explain the piss-poor driving here though.

Heey... great thread! The wifey is about to learn how to drive. I think we will take the private route based on your experience. And it seems cheaper also.

I just wonder which private instructor to take. We are in Clearwater Bay!

Hey bud, depends where your wife wants to learn. I did mine on HK Island and I went with Leekin. My instructor was cool but I did speak to a Scottish lady on my test date who was also with Leekin and she said her instructor was kinda crappy. I also took a lesson with a Ryan Chow who is an independent instructor. Google his name and you will find his details.

Bear in mind, if your wife decides to do her test in HK Island and she is designated Happy Valley as her test route, there are only 3 routes to learn (in reality just 2 because the third is rarely used). If she chooses Kowloon, there are about 11 routes to learn I think, or it might be 9.

Thank you for the info!

At this point, we are still undecided if we should go with Kwun Tong (near us) or go independent. But through my research, if you go independent or 3rd party, the waiting time for a test is almost 8 months!