Converting Int'l Driving License to HK Driving License

Converting Int'l Driving License to HK Driving License

Hi,

Although it looks like a common question, I couldn't find a recent thread about my case. So, here I send my post.

We moved to HK a couple of months ago. We don't have a car yet, but we have plans to buy one. So, first I wanted to convert my driving license to HK license.

Transport Department - Driving in Hong Kong for Overseas Driving Licence Holders

My situation fits 3.2 (Apply for a Temporary Driving Licence) on this page, as my country is not on the list of countries whose citizens can convert their driving licenses directly.

I have my HK ID, proof of address, a driving license which is older than 5 years etc. So, it seems I should be eligible for this one.

However, one of the Criteria on 3.2.1 says: "Apply for a driving test within 3 months after the date of arrival in Hong Kong"
    I didn't understand this part. What exactly is the definition of "the date of arrival in Hong Kong"? I hope it doesn't mean the date we first entered to HK using our residence permit, as it was more than 3 months ago. Do you guys know what it means?

Is there anyone who followed this process 3.2 recently? What are the next steps?

Thank you.

My understanding is your license is on the approved country list for direct conversion or you take the class and road test like everyone else.

When students are studying / learning to drive, they will first apply for a temporary license. This is arranged by the driving school you work with. Then you practice driving a course with an instructor, then you take the test within 3 months.

Keep in mind the road test is a bit crazy. You need to use a signal if you need to cross the line even a little bit, let's say due to an illegally parked car. You cannot speed at all. You must use the parking break liberally. Things like that. This is what I observed from a friend who went though this.

I wouldn't worry about the 3 month bit. I think it refers to the fact you can drive on a foreign licence for a number of months after arriving so you need to apply for a new one within that time. If you are not driving on your foreign licence, don't worry about it.

My driving licence wasn't on the list, but on the list is Germany, Austria and etc... where my driving is accepted for 1 on 1 change and I didn't had any problem to get HK driving licence without passing the any exam.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    My understanding is your license is on the approved country list for direct conversion or you take the class and road test like everyone else.

When students are studying / learning to drive, they will first apply for a temporary license. This is arranged by the driving school you work with. Then you practice driving a course with an instructor, then you take the test within 3 months.
    I think (and I hope) what you say refers to #2 (Procedures for Obtaining a Full Driving Licence with Driving Test) on the page below.

Transport Department - How To Apply for a Driving Licence

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    Keep in mind the road test is a bit crazy. You need to use a signal if you need to cross the line even a little bit, let's say due to an illegally parked car. You cannot speed at all. You must use the parking break liberally. Things like that. This is what I observed from a friend who went though this.
    Thank you for the tips. It seems I need to be extremely careful if I am required to take the driving test. Another thing to note would be driving on the left of course. Although I have many years of driving experience, I have only driven on the left side for a couple of weeks in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    I wouldn't worry about the 3 month bit. I think it refers to the fact you can drive on a foreign licence for a number of months after arriving so you need to apply for a new one within that time. If you are not driving on your foreign licence, don't worry about it.
    Thank you, Katherine, it is comforting. I am not driving currently, I just want to be ready in case we buy a car later. I think I cannot even buy a car if I don't have an HK driving license, let alone driving it.

Quote Originally Posted by resurection
    My driving licence wasn't on the list, but on the list is Germany, Austria and etc... where my driving is accepted for 1 on 1 change and I didn't had any problem to get HK driving licence without passing the any exam.
    This is interesting. Were you aware of this situation before? Or was it a surprise for you when you went there to apply for a temporary license? By the way, is there a list that shows this kind of mappings, like which license is accepted where etc. ?

Quote Originally Posted by dincer80
    This is interesting. Were you aware of this situation before? Or was it a surprise for you when you went there to apply for a temporary license? By the way, is there a list that shows this kind of mappings, like which license is accepted where etc. ?
    Got full driving licence. What i Did just mentioned to the HKTD that my driving licence is accepted within EU, they checked and received positive answer within 15 min. Nothing special. What is funny for example Pakistan driving licence is accepted by HKTD what is ridiculous, and it's on the list.

Try and see. Guess you never know in HK!!

Driving on the left is easy. Fitting in the small car parking spaces and learning how to cut off cars is a skill!!

To be honest although I got the HK driving licence I don't drive here often. Hired a car a few times. Hated it. Public transport is just so good and driving such a pain that I prefer to stick to the bus.