Like Tree10Likes

TomTom or GPS via the phone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TomTom or GPS via the phone?

Hi everyone, I'm undecided about whether to get a TomTom or use my phone's GPS to navigate around HK. I'm leaning towards a TomTom because I hear the GPS signal is better and that for GPS to be useful on a smartphone, your phone has to be 'good' (I use the budget ones).

Any thoughts? Can anyone recommend a good TomTom or smartphone app? Also can someone give a brief summary as to how both work (would they cost a lot since I'm assuming, they both use a lot of data)?

Thanks.

Use your phone is enough, I've used google maps, WAZE and also Here WeGo. All work fine for HK

Waze is good as it tells u where the fixed speed cameras are and users can report accidents, traffic jams, speed traps etc so that other WAZW users can get notified if they are nearby.

I have always use Google maps on my phone and it works nicely. Plus it have great live traffic.

I look up and read the signs.

But if you need to be hand held, just use Google Maps, it is more than enough for tiny HK.

East_coast likes this.

I have a Tom Tom model. It’s ok-ish but loses signal in high rise areas so it can get you lost.

Google drive is better.

East_coast and spode like this.

Original Post Deleted
    HK only has 2000Kms of road so it is pretty quick and easy to learn the cities roads and districts. Road signage and markings are very clear and easy to follow. Study a map for 5 mins and drive using signs to guide you. If you go wrong it is never much of an issue.

I have been driving in Hong Kong for long and I know the way but Googlemaps live traffic is awesome to skip some traffic jam

East_coast, jrkob and spode like this.

Personally as big a fan I was of Tom Tom GPS units in the past, since buying a car that has a factory fitted SatNav with phone Bluetooth connectivity, totally eliminating the phone off the dash/windscreen, is just so much nicer to use, not to mention vastly superior satellite location sensitivity when it's cloudy, and then there is voice prompt intelligibility as it comes through the cars audio system.
    Having visual direction info split between the main screen above the HVAC controls and also repeated in the middle of the instrument panel/cluster ( turning the map on the main screen off ) is a lot less distracting too.

For in car use, I'm happy that the phone just sits in the glove box these days.

On the street ie walking around etc, Googlemaps works well, I use it often for that.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-04-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Seems TomTom takes a similar path as Blackberry, Betamax, VHS. Nobody needs it nowadays.

When I go to place I always put Maps.me on the phone, just in case the car has no GPS or the data ain't working. Never happend so far.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    HK only has 2000Kms of road so it is pretty quick and easy to learn the cities roads and districts. Road signage and markings are very clear and easy to follow. Study a map for 5 mins and drive using signs to guide you. If you go wrong it is never much of an issue.
    I know exactly where I'm going (most of the time!) but I always load up Google Maps to check the traffic situation as that can make a big difference to my travel time. So for me, the navigation aid is all about the traffic status, not the actual route.
    East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast