Like Tree23Likes

Car Air conditioner trouble

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Car Air conditioner trouble

Hi all,

My Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI (2010 manufacture) has suddenly developed some trouble with the air conditioner. Even at the coldest setting, it takes 20 minutes before any cold air comes out; and even then it does not get really cold - just tepid.

Fookie Motors inspected the car and says that the compressor needs to be replaced as it has worn out (cost 5.4k), plus some other parts, plus refilling gas, plus labor (2k), totaling 9.2k.

I intend using this car for another year max.

What should I do? Get a second opinion? Do the costs seem reasonable? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure if this helps but I did a very similar repair on my brother's car in the US and paid about 1300 USD so the money sounds about right- AC problems are expensive. The only suggestion I have is that maybe the compressor is OK and the unit just needs to be recharged- but if you trust that this mechanic is being straight with you then it seems about right. Even if you only plan to use the car another year it would seem the AC needs to be fixed to sell off this car...Good luck!

What part of town are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:
    Hi all,

My Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI (2010 manufacture) has suddenly developed some trouble with the air conditioner. Even at the coldest setting, it takes 20 minutes before any cold air comes out; and even then it does not get really cold - just tepid.

Fookie Motors inspected the car and says that the compressor needs to be replaced as it has worn out (cost 5.4k), plus some other parts, plus refilling gas, plus labor (2k), totaling 9.2k.

I intend using this car for another year max.

What should I do? Get a second opinion? Do the costs seem reasonable? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Buy used compressors? http://m.28car.com/m_par_lst.php

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What part of town are you in?
    I am in Wanchai

Upon further checking with Fookie Motors, I am told the compressor is from Eastern Europe with a manufacturer's warranty of 3 months; but it seems it should work fine for 4-5 years.

when was the last time u refilled the gas?? maybe try refilling it and using it and see if it makes any difference, if it doesnt then listen to your mechanic

My a/c stopped blowing cold air just as summer started... got it re-gassed ($100) and that lasted about a week... so it's a leak (If your air-con is blowing, your compressor is working mate.)

I bought a can of air con sealer from the trade counter in Tuen Mun ($240) plus 3 cans of gas ($40 x 3)... Good as new.

huja and chuckster007 like this.

I have a Volvo V70 stationwagon
    garage said the evaporator was leaking
    suggested I change the evaporator and the condenser to be sure
    So I contacted Wearnes / Volvo Hong Kong
    They told me they would have to courier the parts from Europe
    How much I asked inclusive?
    HKD 27,500+ delivery would take about one week they said
    They refused to tell me the part numbers!
    Hang on
    WTF
    So I contacted a Volvo distributor in Europe
    Paid online
    Genuine Volvo parts
    Shipped by DHL Paket in a large carton
    My cost for this
    HKD 5,150
    I intend to write to the Consumer (toothless useless no wanna mafan) Council eventually as soon as the parts are installed this week
    550% overcharging by these greedy Volvo bastards here
    Meanwhile if anyone has a Volvo or Saab and needs parts, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    550% overcharging by these greedy Volvo bastards here
    BUT they are the official HK VOLVO distributor, HK expensive la LOL

Wow 5K and 27.5K, that is a BIG FUCKING DIFFERENCE.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast