Like Tree4Likes

Bicycle park in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bicycle park in HK

I bought a bicycle when i was living in the New Territories - now I moved in the Island but i do not know where i can park it.

Are there covered parking facilities anywhere from Kenendy Towm to Chai Wan?

the government does not show anything island-wise: https://www.td.gov.hk/mini_site/cic/...ngs/index.html

thanks in advance

Government policy is to not encourage cycling in HK Island or Kowloon, so no, there is no official secure designated parking.

public spaces

Thank you, however do you think that parking at places like HKU would be possible?

Thanks, but do you think that places like HKU have any designated space?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea.vrt:
    I doubt it as the policy is against encouraging bikes on HK island. So in theory there should officially be no designated space for bike parking on Hong Kong island

Can the Government have more stupid policies? While I can understand that HK Island may be a bit dubious with all the hills, much of Kowloon is fine for cycling! And it's much healthier than other forms of transport. Seems such a backward policy.

JAherbert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Government policy is to not encourage cycling in HK Island or Kowloon, so no, there is no official secure designated parking.
    the policy has changed, the latest transport policy bicycles were mentioned lol

Quote Originally Posted by andrea.vrt:
    Google has the quick answer to this. Summary is "yes, but no".

If you're determined to ride on HK side, look into getting a folder.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    the policy has changed, the latest transport policy bicycles were mentioned lol
    Really? That is good news.

I can't find anything official about this regarding policies on the Island. The latest I can find is online is from 2011, but I also recall seeing a consultation document that was circulated by Paul Kimmage in about 2016. Can't find it now. But the 2011 link below that I can find below had similar wording:

Any measure to encourage cycling as a means for commuting must take into account the fact that Hong Kong is a small city with a dense population and concentrated development, and cycling safety should be the most important consideration. While we have well-developed road network and public transport system in Hong Kong, our road traffic is heavy and the roads and footpaths are highly congested, making it difficult to provide spaces to develop tracks designated for cycling. Allowing a large number of bicycles to use busy roads together with other vehicles in urban areas without providing designated cycle tracks will increase the risk of accidents.

In view of the above safety consideration, the Government does not encourage the public to use the bicycle as a transport mode in urban areas.
    LCQ9: Cycling policy and ancillary facilities
    Last edited by greenmark; 10-08-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    No... Policy should be to reduce cars.
    Golem and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast