Like Tree47Likes

Driving into Guangdong may soon become a possibility

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Probably. There is tons of things to see in Guangdong

Chimelong Water Park in Zhuhai
    Chimelong Safari Park in Guangzhou (you can even drive the Safari in your own car.)
    It was possible to go hunting in Zhuhai, not sure that is still around though.
    Fishing in Huizhou
    Danxia Mountain in Shaoguan
    Hotsprings in Heyuan

We went to Shunde (Foshan) a few weeks back... the canal villages are very peaceful and there is an amazing walled garden in the city centre... Bruce Lee's ancestral home and museum...

Gaozan Feng Jian Canal Town : Shunde Guangdong | Visions of Travel
    mrgoodkat, civil_servant and Titus like this.

Death to cars, long live the bicycle What HK, China and the world need is less cars on the road not more.

Not gonna happen. That would immediately result in a lot of Mainlanders buying HK cars and drive them to Guangdong. They would save tax compared to the mainland, not subject to license plate quotas, not subject to driving restrictions in places like Shenzhen and Guangzhou and they wouldn't incur any traffic tickets because they wouldn't have license plates.

They might open some more of those weekly quotas to be used on the new bridge to push up the numbers and justify building the whole thing. Afaik the 350 per week quota at Shenzhen Bay is not being used up right now because it takes such a long time to process. Remember the thread about how much paperwork is required to just park your car near the Macao border, why would anyone think the government would make it easier to actually drive to the Mainland?
    IMO the main benefit for Beijing is to speed up the integrations of HKers into the mainland. There's the separate announcement recently that HKer's Home Return Permit is going to be used as Hukou cards like mainlanders for mainland hospitals and schools and social welfare and such. Then there's the obvious high speed rail link. Not saying it's good or bad but just that it's happening and allowing HKers more opportunities to move freely between mainland and HK is a strategy used by Beijing for integration (if you are for it; or assimilation if you are against it. But whatever the case, like the Borg says, resistance is futile....). So it's not just about numbers and money (not ALL anyway), things are happening to achieve their goals with Hong Kong "reunification" so to say LOL Especially with Occupy and all the Localist/Independence movements, I'd say we're going to see things with what's left of the 50 years sped up

Personally I'm for it. Like someone else posted there's an entire province to explore
    Last edited by Titus; 26-08-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese:
    I doubt it, there are many ignorant people.

To add, I use 'ignorant', not as the pejorative it seems to have become, but in it's original meaning.
    LOL ignore that troll, I think I have an idea who he is LOL

From today's policy address and of particular relevance #63 (pg. 42).

I'm looking forward to some simplification over the current bureaucracy.

Name:  PS2020-SelfDrive.png
Views: 424
Size:  95.7 KB

"...allowing Eligible Hong Kong private cars..." only $1M a pop for the privilege!

hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    "...allowing Eligible Hong Kong private cars..." only $1M a pop for the privilege!
    Maybe. It's quite thin on detail at present, but key words being "quota-free" i'm interpreting this as an extension of the current ad-hoc quota system rather than extending existing "black plate vehicles" to use the HZMB (which I thought already happened anyways).

However that raises a good point... make it too easy and there'll be factory owners throwing fits having paid $1mil before.

Still doubtful about an unlimited scheme. The black plates cost money in form of taxes paid. Nobody would want those if you could cross unlimited. China loves getting taxes.
    Short term cars don't get traffic tickets because the paper plates aren't of the standard form and can't be fined electronically. If they open up the quota it's gonna be a shit show with people travelling to Guangdong to race their cars. It's already happening with the current quota scheme, albeit on a much smaller scale.
    And ultimately, cars registered in HK don't pay import taxes in China. If you could cross unlimited then rich Mainlanders would use the scheme to buy luxury cars cheaper and drive them in China, same as they now do with Macau plates.

hongkong7 likes this.

Did I tell you about the GREATER BAY. The Greater bay is the future of Hong Kong. With the greater bay will be closer to our chinese cousins and can fully integrate in the best democratic system in the planet. Without the greater bay Hong Kong will be lost to these evil terrorists manipulated by western influence!

Still doubtful about an unlimited scheme. The black plates cost money in form of taxes paid. Nobody would want those if you could cross unlimited. China loves getting taxes.
    It's all speculation at this point so your guess is as good as mine. Maybe i'm being hopeful.

The current ad-hoc system only allows for 7-day stays, and with gaps of 6-weeks between (although the latter was stated to be for capacity reasons; so they'll have to come up with a new excuse). My guess is that similar restrictions would stay in place, and thus still give some value to the black plates.

In the long term, clinging onto an archaic system simply so as not to piss off those steak-holders is not sustainable (but yes, this is HK and I know that's how it is with many things, taxi licenses included). Those who paid $1mil will eventually have to accept that fact.

BTW: that's the purchase price, generally second hand market. Officially the license fee isn't much. If you don't qualify for a personal one (most people don't), then yes the workaround is to "buy a company" and maintain it. In China that's a pain in the arse. Brokareage and "sale price" aside, it's just a shell, possibly maintaining some capital to be eligible... but actual taxes and fees paid to the government would be minimal compared with tourism spending potential.
    mrgoodkat likes this.