Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SpeakCantonese
  • 1 Post By Skyhook
  • 1 Post By flameproof

Used luxury sedans

Closed Thread

Used luxury sedans

Been dreaming and eyeing on those used s class, 7 series(740li) and a8L as im a big fan of big (luxury) sedans

and i saw unending lists of above cars for sale, and what make me question is that they are really really cheap, even cheaper when you compare to some of other countries. (Say MY 09-12 going for 100-200k hkd only)

They are really pretty much in the same price range as the used base entry models.

So why are there so many of those used luxury cars for sale in hk? And so cheap? Whats the catch here, are they mostly all lemons or rich people just getting rid of their well functioning cars to get newer ones?

Most have expensive electronic issues thanks to HKs humid climste and most weren't maintained properly... They keep em clean, though...

Price up air suspension failure, a common o e on these big luxo barges, which is 100k plus to rectify all on its own... Engine sensor failures, various ecu's that crap out.... Youll soon understand why they're cheap after purchase...

No matter how cheap these cars are, the spare parts price for them, will always befit, their once 7 figure, price tag...

Not a good idea for folks with deep pockets, short arms and a propensity to worry about money... IMHO

Titus likes this.

Parking space is a additional running cost.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Parking space is a additional running cost.
    ??? Parking costs the same regardless the size of the car...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ206:
    Been dreaming and eyeing on those used s class, 7 series(740li) and a8L as im a big fan of big (luxury) sedans

and i saw unending lists of above cars for sale, and what make me question is that they are really really cheap, even cheaper when you compare to some of other countries. (Say MY 09-12 going for 100-200k hkd only)

They are really pretty much in the same price range as the used base entry models.

So why are there so many of those used luxury cars for sale in hk? And so cheap? Whats the catch here, are they mostly all lemons or rich people just getting rid of their well functioning cars to get newer ones?
    In my opinion, people don't maintain their cars very well here and you'll usually find several 'niggles' in cars over, say, 10 years old... these will usually be electronic failures and/or stuff like central locking/remote windows... little niggles that cost 1000s to solve and there will be several and they let them pile up...

Over 3.5-4.5l you're going to pay $11000 in road tax, over 4.5l it's $12500...

The petrol consumption... yeah.

I totally get you mind... Years ago, I bought a Lexus LS400 which was a car I wanted when I was young and couldn't afford... I grew up in Oz and I love big, powerful barges...

Actually, that car had no electrical niggles despite being pretty old and the engine, holy shit... Seriously... amazing! I got a speeding ticket on the first run out in her...

But yeah, $1000 per month road tax plus $000s and $000s in petrol... when the gearbox shat itself I scrapped it and moved back into the middle...

My advice would be to consider SUVs with 3.0/3.5 engines... happy medium... how about E-class Mercedes 320??
    Skyhook and Titus like this.

Maintenance cost may also be really high.

Read a story about the Bentley in disguise, VW Pheaton. For the W12 engine model the engine is too large for the car. Even for some very simple engine stuff the need to take out the complete engine from the car.

One more issue, odometer tempering is very common in Hong Kong. Make sure the car has complete records.

Titus likes this.