Like Tree79Likes

Living with a non-Tesla Electric Car (EV) in HK

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

So it sounds like this all works fairly well for you...

Quick question - are they free to use? Seems like they may be - or are there a number of networks I'd need to subscribe to?

Quote Originally Posted by ironleaf:
    Quick question - are they free to use? Seems like they may be - or are there a number of networks I'd need to subscribe to?
    The CLP and HK Electric charging points are free to use until the end of 2018 (but this has been extended each year so far).

You generally have to pay for parking while charging, unless you go into the shopping mall and spend some $$.
    Skyhook and Titus like this.

So it sounds like this all works fairly well for you...
    Just having to adjust habits, like a mobile phone, these days we plug in to charge our phones any chance given, same thing for electric cars.

One word of caution for Hong Kong - the Leaf and e-Golf do not have liquid cooling for the battery pack like the more expensive EVs do, so in summer when it is very hot and humid, charging takes much longer and you will take a significant hit on useable range.
    Skyhook, imparanoic and hin23leung like this.

I think Ironleaf puts a pretty well thoughtout case, Clearwater Bay, makes the whole thing pretty workable.

you'll need to check with agents and the landlord of potential rental properties as to how many active lines (power) are connected to the existing switchboard\s.. if you have 3 phase as opposed to the typical bog stock standard single phase variety, which is probably stretched to it's current draw capacity, then you are open to a lot more flexibility.. ideally you need a standalone rental property that allows you to park your car by or next to your house.

This will allow you to have a 3phase charging unit to be installed to the house,. Typical the main power box feed to HK village houses and villas is external, where the meter box and RCD are located..so, it's a matter of installing a dedicated lockable switchboard cupboard off of that, to feed the charger..This will all be dependent on your access to power and how satisfactory the existing power situation is.

Nissan Leaf and the E golf are sold in HK, the official dealers 'should' be able to point you to the official EV charger installer's, direction.

Great to hear you are are getting in at the right time, from 2020, we will see a much larger offering of EV cars, and the unfortunate massive depreciation of petrol cars as they become more and more impractical to own\maintain.

My present car will be the last petrol powered car, which I'm looking forward to going electric, as I have a large PV array on my roof here in Aus, so it makes perfect sense.

Last edited by Skyhook; 20-09-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    emx, shri and Titus like this.

Actually there is plenty of 2nd hand Leaf and e-Golf if you want to save the hassle of importing and FRT, a quick sample from 28car.com

Name:  28car.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  leaf.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  105.3 KB

Titus likes this.

Hi all,

So a number of questions:
    - Yes, I have driven in HK a few times, rented cars. I need a car there to commute to work (Quarry Bay) where I will have a monthly parking facility in my building. I am looking to live in Clear Water Bay, but if I live on the Island, the car will be for weekend trips and shopping.
    - I live in central London and have done for 15 years, always had a car, always commuted daily by car. It's a personal preference.
    - My budget includes parking, maintenance etc.
    - Re: FRT: this is why I'm thinking of importing my Leaf - I get a $97500 concession!

In case anyone is wondering, due to my car being: 2 years old (50% of value is lost in the eyes of HK Gov when importing), and that it is electric, my FRT will be $0 at import.
    If you decide on Clearwater Bay try to find a unit where you can park your car up front so at the very least you can run an extension to plug into a regular household socket for 7km per hour of range. 160km stated/probably real world 100km of range is fine for your Clearwater Bay to Quarry Bay commute as long as you got some bit of charging at each point. If you have monthly rental parking at Quarry Bay that's perfect, even better if they got just a regular household socket for charging.

I do agree with getting a car if your situation is like that, Clearwater Bay to Quarry Bay commute.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Actually there is plenty of 2nd hand Leaf and e-Golf if you want to save the hassle of importing and FRT, a quick sample from 28car.com

Name:  28car.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  leaf.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  105.3 KB
    And I have heard Nissan Hong Kong dealer refuses to service any cars that were not bought from them

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    And I have heard Nissan Hong Kong dealer refuses to service any cars that were not bought from them
    Not sure about the other brands, but even here in Australia, Tesla Motors will not provide any service support for non Australian officially distributed cars. They run a pretty closed shop, Tesla.

VW and Nissan \Renault maybe a different story, best to check....
    Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Just having to adjust habits, like a mobile phone, these days we plug in to charge our phones any chance given, same thing for electric cars.

One word of caution for Hong Kong - the Leaf and e-Golf do not have liquid cooling for the battery pack like the more expensive EVs do, so in summer when it is very hot and humid, charging takes much longer and you will take a significant hit on useable range.
    just wondering, if you park in exposed outdoor area with constant sunlight and tempature within the car up to 45c, will it kill the battery in the long term? asides longer charging what other disadvantages ? or is it better to invest on some of car port with covering if you live in the sticks
    Skyhook and jgl like this.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast