Like Tree43Likes

Living with a non-Tesla Electric Car (EV) in HK

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Living with a non-Tesla Electric Car (EV) in HK

Hi all,

I am shortly relocating to HK and will have an opportunity to export my Nissan Leaf to HK (from UK) 5 months after I arrive, which will give me time to figure out how living with it might work.

I am passionate about EVs, and whilst I recognise the many challenges around living with one, I do feel that I would like to make this work in HK.

Does anyone here have any experience with living in HK with a non-Tesla EV? This specifically relates to charging infrastructure. My car has a 160km range, and I think it is very realistic that I will find a place to live with parking. The charging becomes a more complex question, and I know that it won't be straightforward in an apartment building.

Keen to hear any views people may have - for example, I have not yet found a good app to locate chargers in HK - can anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks a lot everyone

I would have thought that - financially - It would have been a better idea to liquidate your (car) assets to recover some of your previous co$t$ - like the balls busting VAT & then the shipping charges *&* avoid HK's "First Registration" Tax.

Unless you intend to live in far away places with poor access to (MUCH cheaper than UK) public transport then seriously consider leaving your electric car back where it belongs.

Considered the expense of "replacement parts" for - what I assume - is a non-popular model.

I suppose that there's some here - but they don't "stick out like a sore thumb" - whereas Tesla are plentiful.

YMMV !

spode likes this.

So the issue is this: I have a budget for a car in HK, and I want it to be an EV. I have also made the decision that I will have a car of some kind.

For a long time I assumed that selling the car and getting one in HK will be cheaper, but having looked at the new and used market, it actually seems that exporting the car to HK will be on-par with getting a 2016 e-Golf in HK.

A Tesla is outside my budget

Quote Originally Posted by ironleaf
    So the issue is this: I have a budget for a car in HK, and I want it to be an EV. I have also made the decision that I will have a car of some kind.
    ok, but have you lived here before? have you driven here before? It's nothing like UK driving. In my view its 90% city bumper to bumper driving (edit: except the Sunday drivers of course) . There is a reason why most of the population don't own a car, and it's not the purchase price. Does your budget cover road tax, insurance, maintenance, and monthly parking? these typically cost more than most cities in UK.

If you have UK NCB bring the renewal letter with you, a HK insurer might give you some discount for your UK NCB, not the full percentage, but better than nothing.

I have an 2016 e-Golf, which has slightly less range, about 150km.

The CLP app, has real time charging locations, which works quite well and HK Electric's app less so.

No real 3rd party app that shows all the charging points around HK at this stage.

Unless you plan to live far away or cart lots of kids around, a car is a real pain in HK, especially parking.

Skyhook, MerMer, Titus and 4 others like this.

I have a budget for a car in HK
    How much have you budgeted for parking?

my Nissan Leaf... ...I am passionate about EVs

Seriously though... first car registration tax. Do you know about it?

If Nissan Leafs can use the same charging stations as Teslas, you have nothing to worry about on that front... they're everywhere.

Teslas are ubiquitous but I've seen enough Leafs around to know they're not rare...

If the range is 160km you'll probably seldom use a charging station away from your home. The territory is pretty compact...

Unless you plan to live far away or cart lots of kids around, a car is a real pain in HK, especially parking.
    There is literally a carpark on every block in Hong Kong... it's expensive, but a 'pain'?

Quote Originally Posted by emx
    I have an 2016 e-Golf, which has slightly less range, about 150km.

The CLP app, has real time charging locations, which works quite well and HK Electric's app less so.

No real 3rd party app that shows all the charging points around HK at this stage.

Do you have charging at home? Does the e-Golf use CHAdeMO? If so, what's the liabilities for those sorts of chargers in HK?

Hi all,

So a number of questions:
    - Yes, I have driven in HK a few times, rented cars. I need a car there to commute to work (Quarry Bay) where I will have a monthly parking facility in my building. I am looking to live in Clear Water Bay, but if I live on the Island, the car will be for weekend trips and shopping.
    - I live in central London and have done for 15 years, always had a car, always commuted daily by car. It's a personal preference.
    - My budget includes parking, maintenance etc.
    - Re: FRT: this is why I'm thinking of importing my Leaf - I get a $97500 concession!

In case anyone is wondering, due to my car being: 2 years old (50% of value is lost in the eyes of HK Gov when importing), and that it is electric, my FRT will be $0 at import.

Last edited by ironleaf; 19-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    SpeakCantonese, Skyhook and Titus like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast