Like Tree26Likes

Land Rover Scratch Fix: less than $40k?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Land Rover Scratch Fix: less than $40k?

Hi,

We had an incident at a parking lot recently, resulting with another car being scratch (attached pic). The other car was a Land Rover and its owner wanted us to pay him $40k to fix it, which seemed high to us.

We'd like to get a couple of quote ourselves to get a fair price for the fix. Just wonder if anyone can recommend to us some good shops that could help fixing this damage?

Many thanks!

What the other party has done is taken the list price from Land Rover. Happened to my father in law ages ago - dented a Mercedes door and the dealer quoted a 5-6 figure price for "replacing the door". Father in law just let the insurance company deal with it... and transfered the car / insurance to a relative's name to avoid the high premiums that followed.

I had a case, where I dented someones door and the guy was honest, sent me a quote / estimate from a body shop for $8K which I was happy to pay and resolve. Even sent me the final invoice and I could expense it as it was a company car.

The scratch seems to be fixable at any reasonable mechanic. Not rocket science, just depends on how flexible the other party is. (Quite often they just might be flexible.. sometimes not.)

kristaje likes this.

$40000 is the dealer price. Usually they take the doors off, send them to the paint shop, and get the entire thing repainted. Often cars have warranty on paint which is void if some other shop does it as the dealer cannot guarantee the quality of the paint job under those conditions. It may look fixed to the human eye, but it doesn't mean it was done properly. Hence the high price.

shri and kristaje like this.

Was the owner of the landrover there when you had the accident, most ppl leg it LOL

You have insurance so call them up and let them deal with it and you just pay the excess only

Many thanks for the feedback.

i actually didn’t realised that I hit anyone! Not my son or the parking attendant who helped us parking. The owner wasn’t there but asked for cctv to be checked later on.

Police let us see cctv recording yesterday. The angle didn’t allow us to show details but essentially car was ok on its way in, then only 2 cars (incl ours) parked next to it on that side. We heard that the other car didn’t have any scratch on it, so police conclusion was that it’s our car scratching it.

Police said our options are:
    1. Settle privately
    2. Claim insurance. To do this we have to go to court first and probably get 5 demerit point deducted for careless driving, and possibility of being charged with “hit and run” and/or “leaving site of offence without reporting”. Although he mentioned the chances on the last 2 were low, as it’s clear from cctv that I wasn’t aware of any hit, ie. I didn’t check either car and stay in hospital for our appointment.

Our car S350 has a rounded front bumper, so it’s surprising that it caused such damage with the holes in the scratch. Looks like damage was caused by something sharp, but looking at cctv and what police explained about condition of other car, I think our car probably did it ������

is it a mandatory to go through court if we want to claim insurance? Sounds a bit daunting.

Any advise on how I should approach this? Will getting other quotes help?

Last edited by kristaje; 02-10-2018 at 11:39 AM.

does your car front bumper have any damage, scratches etc

Seriously call up your insurance company and explain to them what happened and they will know what to do as you are paying them to do it. You do not need to go to court to claim insurance, thats just the usual police scare tactics where they will give u the information on WHAT can happen ie the 5 points on license etc

You should inform your insurance company that you also had a look on the cctv recording and it doesnt show your car causing the damage which is very strange why the police will blame u if there is no proof lol

is it a mandatory to go through court if we want to claim insurance? Sounds a bit daunting.
    No, it is not mandatory.

I'd get the insurance company involved if I were you. And make sure your car does not suddenly develop any dents and scratches which match up with the other car.
    kristaje likes this.

I have a similar problem, where I also scratched a neighbouring car in leaving a car park. I knew I had done it and owned up to it straight away. The owner was claiming 70k damages (with an even higher quote from BMW dealer) but it is the insurance companies who insist they won’t settle the claim unless I’m prosecuted first and the courts find me guilty! It’s a ridiculous situation for a small amount of damage and a ridiculously high cost of the repair, but our insurance company is being worse than useless! No help at all.

chuckster007, Skyhook and kristaje like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshkim:
    , but our insurance company is being worse than useless! No help at all.
    Damm which insurance company was this, sounds very shitty

edit: seems what you said is correct even reading kwiksure website.

Large Claims
    A large claim is a situation where damage to the vehicle(s) exceeds HK$15,000. Below we have outlined some of the more typical approaches used in regards to large claims in Hong Kong.

Assignment of fault/blame
    In a large claim where there is no disclosure of liability from a third party it will be almost impossible to recover any money from the third party insurer without the police being involved in the situation.

When police attend an accident they will prosecute in 99% of cases. This prosecution is, generally, not serious and will typically not affect your driving license unless a serious road traffic offence has been committed. However, by prosecuting an individual involved in an accident the police have assigned blame and decided who is at fault. Insurance companies in Hong Kong will follow the Police conviction in regards to assigning fault, however if there is no prosecution then it becomes virtually impossible to settle the claim.

For very minor cases the police will normally not want to prosecute. If the damage is small then they may see a prosecution as a waste of time. If you are innocent and the third party involved in the incident will not settle in cash, you should insist that the police prosecute the other driver, which will then normally happen.

Prosecution and reimbursement
    A prosecution by the police will normally take up to 3 months to reach a conviction. Once the prosecution is completed the insurance will typically take 3 weeks - 6 months to provide reimbursement, depending on the quality of the other driver's insurance company.

If you have an accident where it is not your fault and the other driver does not settle in cash, then it will normally take between 3 and 9 months for you to receive reimbursement.

If your policy renews during the claims process, then you will normally lose your NCD benefits, but this can be reinstated, along with any overpaid premiums, once the other insurance company has settled the dispute.

The information contained herein should not be construed, in any way, as forming advice on how to proceed in the event of an accident. This page contains information explaining what typically happens in Hong Kong with regards to accidents/claims and does not, in any way, reflect the views, mission, and practices of Kwiksure or Pacific Prime Insurance Brokers.

Yeah and Kwiksure were the brokers who recommended the insurance company. It was such a stupid amount of money we couldn’t pay that ourselves so had to put it in the hands of the insurance company. But to be prosecuted, wasting the police's and courts time on something so trivial shows how pathetic these companies are.
    We won’t be using these companies again that’s for sure, but are others any better?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast