Like Tree7Likes

Best Neighbourhoods to Live in if you are a cyclist

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bike paths are more likely to look like this:

drumbrake likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golem:
    Bike paths are more likely to look like this:
    Yes, this is what those places look like in the afternoon. It sure beats Hong Kong island traffic around those same times though.

You entirely miss the point though. These paths will get you to the safe biking roads in a quick, safe, an unobstructed manner no matter what time of day it is. Thus it provides flexibility for each individual based on their preference of speed, safety, and the type of riding they prefer. Its up to the rider of whether to choose the road or the path based on traffic conditions at that time. On Hong Kong island one doesn't get that choice. It's either early in the morning or very late at night. Based on that criteria, anywhere in Hong Kong is excellent for road riding then.

There's nothing wrong with paths, all I said is that they are often dangerous to ride on at over 20km/hr. Anyone wishing to ride at higher speed is in my opinion safer on the roads both for themselves and others. I have used them on occasion to commute leisurely or to get somewhere more appropriate to training as a warm up or a cool down. Whether in HK or abroad, I believe that in most cases especially in urban areas people should not use them to train at high speed and many countries do post speed limits of 20km/hr which is reasonable. HK should consider doing the same...

IMHO there are maybe four different good areas for cycling 50k-100k with 1000m climbing:

• South Hong Kong Island (but only before 9am)
    • Lantau
    • Route Twisk/Tai Mo Shan/Tai Lam/Castle Peak
    • Sai Kung/Ma On Shan (but not on Sundays)

If you live in Wanchai/Happy Valley/Tai Hang or in Pokfulam then you can get on and off the South HK Island routes it gets too busy. You can also carry your bike on MTR/Ferries to get to Lantau and Route Twisk.
    The main disadvantage of these areas is that rents are expensive so renting the extra space your bike takes up within a flat makes cycling an expensive hobby.

If you live in Tung Chung then that will give you ready access to Lantau and Route Twisk and the rent you have to pay for the space your bike takes up will be more affordable. But riding on South HK Island would be difficult before it gets crazy busy.

Going to put myself out there with an unpopular opinion.
    The HK island South Side bikers are so annoying. Unless you plan to go at the crack of dawn please avoid this area. There is only one main road and these bikers cause all types of congestion issues because buses can't safely pass them.

TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    Going to put myself out there with an unpopular opinion.
    The HK island South Side bikers are so annoying. Unless you plan to go at the crack of dawn please avoid this area. There is only one main road and these bikers cause all types of congestion issues because buses can't safely pass them.
    No problem.

5 South Side bikers blocking the traffic
    thinking they're so cool
    my bumper scrapes the back of ones tire
    4 South Side bikers to go

4 South Side bikers...

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    No problem.

5 South Side bikers blocking the traffic
    thinking they're so cool
    my bumper scrapes the back of ones tire
    4 South Side bikers to go

4 South Side bikers...
    Go ahead and try it. We'll see what happens to you... Better take out all five or flee and hope there's no congestion ahead. Many of us also ride with cameras... I bet you would love to experience HK jails since you think the government does everything well.

There's always congestion on that road, whether it's minibus stopping, large trucks or buses that slow down or a variety of other things that happened. I have never had a vehicle wait more than 30 seconds behind me and I have to wait for vehicles when I go downhill and accept that. It's called sharing the road in an urban area. Everyone pays taxes and has equal rights to use the road, cyclists should be considerate and ride so that they can be easily passed and motorists should be reasonably patient and courteous. Being 5 minutes slower on any car journey should be expected in a high traffic place like HK.