Like Tree7Likes

Borrowed Bike/Ran Red Light - What Happens?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Borrowed Bike/Ran Red Light - What Happens?

Hi,

a friend of mine is visiting and I gave him my bike to cruise around.

Apparently he got caught crossing a red traffic light, well at least there was a flash in his back.

Do you know what will happen now as the bike is registered in my name?

Best,

D

You pray and wait that a letter does not come to your registered address.

If one does come then it will ask you who was driving the vehicle and you send it back then you will get another letter/bill to pay the fine.

Sounds like $450, no biggie. Just pay it before it becomes $900.

Just fill in the letter with your friend's details and call it a day. If you feel generous you can attach a copy of his driver's license and entry stamp.

Running a red light adds 5 points and a possible careless driving conviction.

emx likes this.

Thanks - that makes me feel better.

I am just concerned as he will obviously be out of town soon, so how will they persecute him. Does it fall back on me? What Happens to the points in that regard?

Quote Originally Posted by dubai:
    Thanks - that makes me feel better.

I am just concerned as he will obviously be out of town soon, so how will they persecute him. Does it fall back on me? What Happens to the points in that regard?
    Nothing, it's not your problem

the fixed penalty moving offences system requires the owner to notify the driver's name and address
    That is all you have to do
    If you use the driver's /rider's overseas address then also state the date he left HKG
    They usually call up and ask for the driver (to see if you are lying about him leaving)
    Contrary to comments above they will not issue a payment demand to you as you were not the driver
    The Fixed Penalty parking system places the onus foir the contravention (tort) on the vehicle owner to pay no matter who was the driver unlike the moving offences system
    If the rider is still here they will ask to see his driving licence so if he did not have an international driving licence permit and was not renting a hire vehicle that is another problem

Just make sure your friend complied with all licencing requirements before you fill his name in - he had the correct licence to drive a motorbike and he was in possession of a valid international drivers licence. Ask your friend to photocopy them if he will so you can prove they were valid. If the police find he wasn't in compliance they will do you for allowing your vehicle to be driven with no licence and therefore uninsured.

shri and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Just make sure your friend complied with all licencing requirements before you fill his name in - he had the correct licence to drive a motorbike and he was in possession of a valid international drivers licence. Ask your friend to photocopy them if he will so you can prove they were valid. If the police find he wasn't in compliance they will do you for allowing your vehicle to be driven with no licence and therefore uninsured.
    No international drivers license needed, just a valid license from his/her home country.
    shri and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    No international drivers license needed, just a valid license from his/her home country.
    Great - I have that all here.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast