Like Tree4Likes

Is is safe to buy used motorcycle in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is is safe to buy used motorcycle in HK

Hi,

I will most likely purchase a motorcycle in HK, I am probably looking for something like an MT-07 (hoping to find one with ABS).

Can you long-term fellow enlighten me on the ins and out of purchasing a used motorcycle here? what are the risks, and things to consider to avoid issues?

Basically, is it safe to purchase from a private owner? should I prefer going for a professional seller instead?

Hope to get some of your wisdom thanks.

I'd be more concerned with the risks of riding motorcycle in HK.

markranson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    I'd be more concerned with the risks of riding motorcycle in HK.
    Well, I will have to deal with that part *after* purchasing a motorcycle anyway
    civil_servant likes this.

I've bought and sold two, all private sales. It's very easy, there is no inspection required. But because of that you need to be very sure that the bike's in good condition. Get insurance, fill in form, line up at the TD for 30-60 mins, pay government fee of $250 and you're done.

coffee_break likes this.

what would be the checklist I should use to ensure the bike is in good condition (aside from the obvious external inspection, tyre check, quick riding test) ?

I'm not an expert by any means, but apart from riding it, I just ask the owner how well it's been cared for and try and guage how trustworthy they are.

It's fine, just like anywhere. HK bikes generally have lowish miles, but because there's not much room to work on them, the maintenance someone's needs a good look.

Riding in HK is not as bad as people think. The speeds are low and the local drivers are generally very timid so there isn't many aggressive drivers (compared to AU or NZ for instance).

I bought my MT 07 used a while back and it's been great.
    My wife has just given birth to twins though so I'm considering selling it if you're interested. It's the grey ABS one, PM me if interested.

Definitely insist on a riding test, even as a pillion. and make sure you get on the freeway and test all the gears. I bought used from a supposedly reputable shop in SSP and the 5th gear turned out to be completely worn and I needed to replace the entire gear box which cost $16K.

chuckster007 likes this.

If you're not confident checking over the bike yourself, ask a local mechanic to take a look - or just buy one from a local shop. I've owned 7 bikes here and all but one bought from private sellers. The only dodgy one was bought from a shop! Make of that what you will.

Never buy a bike that you not allowed to test ride or be a pillion on. Just walk away.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast