Traffic tickets; please help!

Closed Thread

Traffic tickets; please help!

My driver got caught recently for not paying the traffic ticket. We found out it was when he used to work for former Chinese employer, and speeding camera caught the car number only. Few weeks later, he started working for me, and the former employer never let him know about the letter about speeding ticket & penalty which they should have received, and ignored and destroyed. My driver had to pay 1,450 HKD instead of 450HKD for over due. The former employer also refused to pay another ticket which my driver was given by police after he parked at double line as his former employer forced him to do and promised to pay for him, and he had to pay extra fee including overdue payment over a year ago since they didn't pay as they promised. We know they are so cheap and nasty, but at least they should have forwarded the letter to him via WhatsApp since my driver didn't change his number. He even tried to contact with their assistant last time but she/they didn't reply to him. Is there anything he can complain and or punish them for not letting him know about the letter?? I know not much he can do, but any advice is welcome. Thank you!!

As far as the police (and the courts) are concerned, the driver is the person who committed the traffic violations and is responsible for the fines.

He could try taking a case to the small claims court, but it would come down to his word against theirs - and, given the very small amounts involved, is probably more trouble than it is worth. If it was me, I'd just pay the driver myself as a goodwill gesture and move on. It sucks, but I don't see there is anything your driver and do about it.

Thank you for the reply. Sad to know. I paid for the last one which former boss promised but didn't pay. My friend says, my driver could protest that ticket and say he wasn’t driving since not his car, and the owner of car ultimately needs to pay but no points assessed, so he would need to go to police and say he wasn’t driving. I am not sure if this works.

The owner of the car gets a notice of an offence, then the owner has to reply stating who was driving the car at the time of the offence.

The Police then fine the driver accordingly.

Was there a cam inside the car? As they usually record audio as well as video, so that could be used as proof to who was driving the car.

Thanks for the reply. I see, then I don't understand why my driver never received the letter from Police. We never received neither. Anyway, no camera on that car he says.