Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Bollix
  • 3 Post By chuckster007

Importing vs Buying A Motorcycle

Post Importing vs Buying A Motorcycle

Hi All,

I've been in Hong Kong now for 8 months and miss my motorcycle back in the UK. I'm tossing up the idea of importing a motorcycle versus buying a second hand motorcycle here.

Right now I'm leaning towards importing my motorcycle as it holds a special place in my heart. Can someone explain the first registration tax to me should I import my motorcycle from the UK. I understand that the tax is 35%, is this of the purchase price?

Thanks

JB

what model / year made is your bike back home??

2012 Ducati Streetfighter 849cc.

Great question. I have a Triumph Sprint ST here in the UK, coming to Hong Kong in August. Ill look forward to more answers and to your decision, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesnormandale
    Hi All,

I've been in Hong Kong now for 8 months and miss my motorcycle back in the UK. I'm tossing up the idea of importing a motorcycle versus buying a second hand motorcycle here.

Right now I'm leaning towards importing my motorcycle as it holds a special place in my heart. Can someone explain the first registration tax to me should I import my motorcycle from the UK. I understand that the tax is 35%, is this of the purchase price?

Thanks

JB
    35% of the value at time of import, I believe. Not necessarily the purchase price.

Contact me, I help with importation and govenment tests for motorcycles

@jamesnormandale & @Seesaw67 Give Bollix a shout, he's a BRIT who runs a Motorbike garage in San Po Kong and does early morning Bike runs with a bunch of guys every sunday morning. He does quite a few importations and gets them ready for Govt Test and deals with the Govt testers who can be a bunch of pricks sometimes LOL

Bollix, Seesaw67 and markranson like this.

A 2012 Streetfighter can be bought for ~ 70k HKD, about the same price as in the UK.