Like Tree10Likes

Scrap it or get it fixed?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scrap it or get it fixed?

Hi,

I have a Mazda 5, 2009 which has had 3 owners and low mileage. It currently has a flat battery as I have not used it for around 9 months. It doesn't currently have its vehicle licence/ government test. It was a great family car but I had a baby several months ago and stopped using it and now it doesn't seem worthwhile keeping. It is sitting in a car parking space that I could be renting out....

So my question is, is it worth getting it fixed to sell? I have seen a similar car on geoexpat advertised for $30 000.
    However, my guestimate to have it fixed is :
    New battery? HK$ 3000
    Vehicle licence renewal: HK$5000
    Government test: ? HK$3000

What could I reasonably expect to sell the car for? Private buyer or car sales person? And if its not worth fixing, who do I get to take it away??

Thanks!
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by Katecymru:
    Hi,

I have a Mazda 5, 2009 which has had 3 owners and low mileage. It currently has a flat battery as I have not used it for around 9 months. It doesn't currently have its vehicle licence/ government test. It was a great family car but I had a baby several months ago and stopped using it and now it doesn't seem worthwhile keeping. It is sitting in a car parking space that I could be renting out....

So my question is, is it worth getting it fixed to sell? I have seen a similar car on geoexpat advertised for $30 000.
    New battery? HK$ 3000

What could I reasonably expect to sell the car for? Private buyer or car sales person? And if its not worth fixing, who do I get to take it away??

Thanks!
    Kate
    first thing first, are you sure the mileage is correct, unfortuately, hk has dodgy consumer laws and that clocking is common, is the condition of the car ok? or does it constantly need repairs? if it's ok, then keep it and find an expensive car repairer, depending on your location, are willing to travel and find a local repairer (who can't speak english) but charges inexpensive amount and most important, trustworthy and honest, i know one in the new terrritores, but you need to bring a friend who can speak cantonese

based on my experence, 3 cars within 12 years, new battery around HK$800-1600 (considering your car is older car, less electronics, expect lower end)

road tax will be at HK$6000, goverment MOT, can't remember.
    Katecymru likes this.

New battery should be closer to $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    New battery should be closer to $1000.
    depends on what car, my friend small car, Toyota ractis 2011, brand new battery for HK$800, sheung shui, she only had to change her battery every 4 years, but my car, 2013 mk7 golf, has a lot electronics, stop-start, mechatronic for dsg, electric hand brake, therefore, power capacity is a lot bigger, same place in sheung shui, at HK$1600, replaced last year, on average, every 2 and half year needs replacing.

i presume kowloon prices, probably closer to HK$900, some place in HK island HK$1200
    shri and jgl like this.

New battery? HK$ 3000
    New battery : 1000
    Vehicle license: $5794
    Government Test: $585 (if it fails anything then you will know what exactly only to fix) and not get ripped off by mechanics
    Government Retest: $180

So you are looking at around $10000 to fix it up and get road worthy and then try to sell for $35000 and dont take anything less than $30000 this is for private seller, if selling to dealer then they will probably give you $8000 - $10000.

If you scrap it then you are looking at getting something in between $5000-$10000 if your lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    New battery : 1000
    Vehicle license: $5794
    Government Test: $585 (if it fails anything then you will know what exactly only to fix) and not get ripped off by mechanics
    Government Retest: $180

So you are looking at around $10000 to fix it up and get road worthy and then try to sell for $35000 and dont take anything less than $30000 this is for private seller, if selling to dealer then they will probably give you $8000 - $10000.

If you scrap it then you are looking at getting something in between $5000-$10000 if your lucky.
    need valid insurance to get the vehicle registration, is your insurance still valid?

$5,794 is for a full year, you could buy 4-month license $2,056

oh totally forgot about insurance part for renewal DOH!!! so forgot the renewal, just get the MOT done as that is most important part, with that MOT certificate then the new owners knows that the car can be registered with TD. It will be up to the new owners to pay either full year or quarterly.

Saves you some $$$$$$

imparanoic and Katecymru like this.

If I only get the government test done and not the vehicle licence will anybody likely buy it without being able to test drive it?

Just give it away as is, save yourself the hassle.

Advertise in the FREE stuff section in the classifieds listed above.

lovehunter likes this.

If I only get the government test done and not the vehicle licence will anybody likely buy it without being able to test drive it?
    how much do you expect to sell ? i doubt you will get more than HK$5000-7000 for it considering no road tax and that's if it's in a good condition, how old the tires, air con working?, any mechical damages? are the seats worn out? when you say low mileage, do you mean 70k km?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast