Like Tree18Likes
  • 7 Post By Titus
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 8 Post By Titus
  • 1 Post By Titus

Leaving Hong Kong - sale of car to dealers

Leaving Hong Kong - sale of car to dealers

Just sharing my experience so hopefully someone with similar situation down the road can find this post.

So after 15 years in Hong Kong, I decided to move permanently back to Canada with my family. For car enthusiasts/people who drive out of necessity in HK, one of the key things is getting rid of your vehicle.

Actually made up my mind to move around March to take the one way ticket flight out end of July so that left me with only 4 months to sell. I had looked at the options:

- keep the cars in HK, rent a cheap spot in a village and cover it up with a decent car cover and ask friends to check/start/charge the cars once a month. Keep this until I've settled into Canada for 6 months and definitely sure about my decision (personally I'm sure as I already told my residence in HK).

- put it into consignment sale at a used car dealer. They charge a monthly fee. This works well as you have to pay for parking like option one anyway and a good dealer will keep your car in good show condition. But in my case for one of the cars I know a new generation update is coming out so want to be rid of it before the price dips.

- cash purchase on the spot by a used car dealer. For one of the cars and my motorcycle this is what I went with. They came to me, plugged in computers to read fault codes, test drove it and made me an offer (well I told them what my bottom line price was before the meeting). They confirmed all in good mechanical condition and kept their word of my bottomline price. I had set my price 30% lower than what similar cars on 28car.com was asking leaving them margin to make a living. It was a balance of not having to deal with time wasting asses and how much at the end of the day I am willing to take a hit for. If you have the time and your vehicle is a mainstream car for HK market, you can definitely recoup more money by selling private.

Was similar for my motorcycle, I asked over phone if they are interested in cash purchase, they said yes. I rode to their shop, they took a look and asked me how much I want. Typical "they need to talk to boss" I left the bike there and said they either cash buy it or I consign it (pay monthly fee 700hkd to have them market and keep it in good condition which is fair since parking is that much already). Got to me the next day offered again 30% off what similar bikes were listing on 28car and ibike. Sold, goodbye bike.

- another car was sold to a friend. A used car dealer offered me a rock bottom price and before I accepted, I sent a message to close friends they have two days to let me know if they want to take it for that price. In the end my neighbour bought it.

jgl, shri, chuckster007 and 4 others like this.

Off memory you're moving out into the idyllic countryside in BC? Good luck with the move, and congratulations on the decision.

Titus likes this.

Bollix didnt want ur bike?? Lol

Titus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Bollix didnt want ur bike?? Lol
    LOL not old enough for him and two too many strokes

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Off memory you're moving out into the idyllic countryside in BC? Good luck with the move, and congratulations on the decision.
    Thanks buddy, yea LOL it snowballed from last August's "oh I'll scout out a place to start the 7-8 year plan to move back" to this March "ah fk it" LOL kids didn't get into the school mom wanted and if we're going public I might as well put them in the Canadian public system (helps that my wife used to be a teacher so we're just going to homeschool the boys in Chinese with materials we buy in HK).
    Plus I'm in low tech manufacturing, was already lucky I had this long of a run.... The Greater Bay Area has no use for guys like me, all their talk of AI and clouds and finance..... It'll benefit some people and wish them the best who will become the new faces of the area. No point in fighting change.... Was interesting with the potential buyers coming to view my village house, a lot of them reminds me of my wife and I 7 years ago when we moved in, also newly weds looking for more space to raise kids in the city and now it's served that purpose for me it's time to pass it onto someone else. Sounds cliché but kinda like tides going back and forth, the sands change but it's the same movement.
    jgl, woteva6891, Elegiaque and 5 others like this.

What did you get for the Model S?

Quote Originally Posted by emx
    What did you get for the Model S?
    Haha.... It's actually the one I didn't sell yet.... The market is flooded with used ones and for that price I'm going to keep it instead. Adding my friend's name to insurance and he'll keep driving it on weekends to keep battery charged. And when I'm back every once in a while I'll have a car to use too (maybe one day soon they'll open up the border and I'll take advantage of the free lifetime charging with a cross China road trip who knows).
    Just did 100k kms service on it two weeks ago still buzzing along effortlessly

Side note, not too happy with storage battery drain. When I went on a 3 week trip to Canada in April, at the end of week 2, I got a battery low alert from the car on the app. Before I left I charged it to 180km range, about 40% charge. By the time I got the alert it was down to 50kms range left. I thought it can wait till I get back but I don't have home charging and nearest charger is 20kms away. 3 days before I came back I had to ask my neighbour for a favor to use his outlet to park and charge my car outside his ground floor village house unit with the 13 amp cable. Wonders of tech, I did everything remotely via WhatsApp and Tesla app to unlock the car, remote start it, watch him drive it on the real time map 50 meters away to his place and plug it in and relock everything. So with a full battery charge you'd still end up with a dead battery after like 5 weeks maybe? I was told the weather was hot and the Tesla battery temp management is never fully shut down and will turn fans on even when the car is off. Might be why the big battery drain
    emx likes this.