Like Tree10Likes

My vehicle is in the US -- what to do about my plates?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My vehicle is in the US -- what to do about my plates?

Hi,

I have my canadian vehicle in the US, my husband will be sponsoring me but my plates will be expiring before we apply for a green card.

My question to you is what will happen should I not have plates that have expired, can the florida police follow me and know that my plates have expired?

Thank you for your help.

You know this is a forum about Hong Kong, right?

That depends on a number of things. Does your plate have the expiry date on it? If it does then it's more obvious that you are driving on expired plates. If you have a window sticker then it's more difficult to see. Depends on what the norm is and what the police are used to.

I don't think many police worry about out of state expired plates, and even if so it's just a penalty. You could potentially get a warning or asked to fix it. That also depends how you drive. If you follow the rules usually you won't get pulled over.

Peoniess08 likes this.

Hi MandM,
    Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. My plates don't have a sticker on them, nor do I have one on my window, so I was just wondering if the US police have a system where they could see out of state plates that are expired. I just found it creepy coincidence that a police car was behind me and then it looked like he was punching in my plates into his system.

I highly doubt that Florida has direct access to Canadian DMV database. However I do think some states may have a treaty to share data but this would be states closer to Canada. Police in the states are looking for warrants or drug charges most of the time.

Peoniess08 likes this.

But why did it look like he was punching in my plate number? I just found it odd because that was really the first time that has ever happened.

How are you going to get insurance when your plates expire?

@dumbdonkey my plates will expire before my insurance does

Quote Originally Posted by Peoniess08
    But why did it look like he was punching in my plate number? I just found it odd because that was really the first time that has ever happened.
    Because you are worried about your plates that is what you thought you saw. He could have been doing anything.
    Peoniess08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peoniess08
    @dumbdonkey my plates will expire before my insurance does
    No plates, no insurance.
    Peoniess08 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast