Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10
Like Tree125Likes

Deciding if I should own a car in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    The use of solid white lines in Hong Kong well before junctions ensures a smooth flow traffic. Hong Kong is very simple to drive around if you think ahead 100m rather than expect to be able to turn at the intersection as all drivers know that is unlikely if you are in the wrong lane.
    I completely disagree that HK is easy to drive if you think ahead. It's easy if you know the road. It's not if you don't.

As someone else mentioned, the idea of a 'nice country drive' like you had in the USA is NOTHING like what you'll experience driving here. While you can get out to more places from Brides Pool to Shek O, you'll also have to deal with some incredibly narrow roads and occasionally nightmarish traffic control signals (remember: the vast majority of the people who lay out the lines on the road and the signs above are people who ride the bus).

After many years without a car we did end up buying one, but we had two kids who were playing football at different times / locations all over the city and it was just not practical to use taxis for everything (well, we could have, and it would have been cheaper, but sometimes you just can't get a cab and whatnot). It also enabled us to do somethings like take the bikes up to Tai Po and ride around and take the neighbors and kids down to Shek O for a beach party. It also gave us a bit more storage as we kept a few items in the car boot rather than taking up precious space in our house.

Yes parking in HK is a problem unless you have private parking at home and at work !
    I'm now spending $500 per week on petrol, 100km per day, 5 days a week, but saving $500 a week on beer in Wanchai on the way home ! Happy wife, Happy life !

imparanoic and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    BTW, the KIA Niro looks OK (but KIA rips you off via maintenance, they want leech you every 5000Km, in Europe KIA asks for every 30,000Km)
    Correction: Inspection cycle in Europe for KIA Niro is 15,000Km but at least once a year. If I would buy a Niro in HK I would insist on the same, or buy something else.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10