Like Tree141Likes

Deciding if I should own a car in HK?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    Astonishing... In 10 years, I have been reversed into twice, rear ended once and had my front bumper knocked off twice... all but one of these incidents happened in car-parks while I was stationary, the other was a taxi who was tailgating me for miles before the inevitable happened... to be fair, I made all of them pay at least double what I thought the repairs might cost having been assured that's how it's done here...

I've definitely noticed door dings appear on my car and I got a big scratch once at Chi Lok market... I've seen arguments in car-parks over dings including one at Stanley where considerable damage had been done and the other car had just driven away... I've seen a lorry knock a wing mirror off an drive away...

The USA must be absolutely dreadful for this if it's worse than HK... wow!

Okay, let me put it this way... I found Hong Kong to be much, much worse than the four countries I've lived in long term and run cars; Australia/UK/Denmark/Sweden...

By the way... not saying it's perfect in other countries... for example, I've had my car broken into about a million times in Oz to the point where I used to leave my car unlocked and the glove-box and centre console open... and I lived in a 'good' neighborhood... got keyed in England and my girlfriend's car was broken into... I think there is a great chance that people will leave a note if they hit you in the UK and Oz... I also think people tend to let insurance do the work when crashes happen...
    Wow, I beleive you but its all a surprise to me. Keying of others cars I have definitely not expected here but its commonplace in the States. Also leaving of valuables like a phone or tablet seems to be OK her but a definite no no in the U.S.
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Wow, I beleive you but its all a surprise to me. Keying of others cars I have definitely not expected here but its commonplace in the States. Also leaving of valuables like a phone or tablet seems to be OK her but a definite no no in the U.S.
    I wouldn't leave a phone in a car in the UK or Oz... I would in Hong Kong, probably would in Denmark and Sweden too, but not Germany, lol...

I wouldn't leave a phone in a car in the UK or Oz... I would in Hong Kong, probably would in Denmark and Sweden too, but not Germany, lol...
    in uk, some places, you would not leave a few pounds and half a packet of cigarettes, let alone a phone
    Mr Chips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    it does happen in HK, just rare occasions, mainly in villages, i had my ford focus keyed on along on doors one side in a paid meter car parking space

This is how I bought cars for 10 years in HK... a couple went for 2 years (I never prepare for MOT, I put them through, if they pass, great, if not, scrap.)

Bought and sold a couple... I only lost 3 'between MOTS'... a Golf, I was driving down Castle Peak Road when some massive rocks bounced off a lorry and one went under me and smashed the sump, wrecking the engine. That coul have happened in any car... the others, a gearbox in my LS400 which I paid 7k for and ran for a glorious 6 months... a new gearbox would have been 7k... I was ready to move on... Mercedes Avante Garde E320 AMG spec. 2k, ran that beast for a very enjoyable half year before hydrolocking the engine in a flash flood... again, could happen in a much more expensive car.

Finally, most cars after, say, 2000ish won't just break... you'll get warnings things are going south... you can google 'buy used cars Hong kong' or something... lots if companies buy cars and you'll probably get 6 or 7k from them if it still drives...9 out of 10 of them end up in Africa.

I mention these because 1 of those things could have happened on a brand new car... the others happened 6 months in so my loss was half the 7k and half the 20k respectively.

Sounds like you're like me... you like cars but dont like wasting money...

Do it... I drove some beauties in HK, Mercs, Lexus, BMWs... I even turned a profit a few times... as you say, loss capped at 25k and that potantial loss goes down every months she runs!

25k, you park her anywhere... scratches? Who cares!

Trust me, you park a newer in HK and its going to break you as people bang it and scratch it... no... no... no...

Do it!

It's funny, I'm back in England now in my Vectra diesel... and that's where I feel at home here... but in HK, I'd be looking for another luxury SUV, lol X5, ML or RX... yeah, do it...! You'll love it.

Post pics. when you have it... btw, with it being HK you can bet its fully loaded too.
    Thanks for your insight!

Wow - how did you manage to find cheap bangers for 2k and 7k?! and i thought i was scrapping the bottom of the barrel!...
    Mr Chips likes this.

bsh

I left a big pink horrible winter coat in my car once, back in the UK.

They even nabbed that!

Here in HK, I've been hit twice, scraped so many times and my car roof and bonnet are full of dings due to falling acorns! So glad, I didn't buy an expensive car.

imparanoic and Mr Chips like this.

Quote Originally Posted by loser:
    Thanks for your insight!

Wow - how did you manage to find cheap bangers for 2k and 7k?! and i thought i was scrapping the bottom of the barrel!...
    My two cents, one reason to not get a car is that Hong Kong is simply too crowded for more cars. The streets, which are giving so much priority of space, are clogged, pushing pedestrians (the majority) into tiny spaces, with polluted air. The countryside areas are ruined by cars, too. The number of cars on, say, Tai Mo Shan, is a polluting eyesore.

I once considered getting a car because I had access to free parking both at home and at work and my public transport commute was 1 hour 20 minutes. I decided against it for the better good of my community which is suffering from a sudden influx of cars parking dangerously (near firehydrants, for example) and for the sake of the community around my work, which also suffers from the priority given to motor vehicles and the dangerous situation it poses to them (I once witnessed a ped-vehicle fatality there).

Save your itch to drive for a country that has the space and is designed around cars. Find other interesting things to do in HK, which are unique to HK, like watersports.

(@TheBrit heads up, I posted an anti-car post, please feel free to chime in and mock me with that thread you like to keep handy...)
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 02-06-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loser:
    Thanks for your insight!

Sorry, that was 20k... not 2k!

The 7k for the LS400 is purely because the tax on the thing is so high... that's an example of a car you want to drive with your heart, not your head...

But trust me, 0-100 in under 6 seconds in a saloon that size is a beautiful feeling... I think I saw that on here actually.

Dangerous car... at low revs. you couldn't hear the engine and the slightest touch of the gas and you'd be over 100kmh... I had at least one ticket from that on Tuen Mun highway... stretched her legs on the roads near Lung Kwu Tan a few times... no regrets!! :-)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11