Like Tree141Likes

Deciding if I should own a car in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

@imparanoic is spot on.

A model 3 is going to cost you way more than 330K, unless you happen to have been driving and have registered in your name a 6 year + old petrol car that can be scrapped.

Also keep in mind, insurance on any Tesla in HK is going to sting, like 2 - 4 + times what I pay for my e-Golf.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greentealatte:
    For me it’s either I get a more expensive electric car (like a Tesla) or I don’t get one at all. Definitely no petrol cars. Like you said, there will be maintainence/oil changes/gas costs.
    Tesla has extremely high comprehensive insurance cost (in case you want that), not sure how much just 3rd party is. I think it's because Tesla spare parts are astronomical high, can be 10 times compare to BMW etc.

BTW, the KIA Niro looks OK (but KIA rips you off via maintenance, they want leech you every 5000Km, in Europe KIA asks for every 30,000Km)

And if you want to drive to work, you have the parking issue at workplace.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    i don't think that's correct, apparently that the part exchange price for a older petrol car ( apparently you have own it for 2 years prior)

https://unwire.hk/2019/05/11/tesla-h...ife-tech/auto/
    Ok I see I might have saw the price wrong :/

Does it mean no first registration tax can be waived for buying a new electric car?
    Last edited by greentealatte; 27-06-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    BTW, the KIA Niro looks OK (but KIA rips you off via maintenance, they want leech you every 5000Km, in Europe KIA asks for every 30,000Km)
    I am curious what KIA plan to maintain on a pure electric car every 5000km, gosh even the wiper blades should last 30,000km!

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Tesla has extremely high comprehensive insurance cost (in case you want that), not sure how much just 3rd party is. I think it's because Tesla spare parts are astronomical high, can be 10 times compare to BMW etc.
    It is not because of the spare parts cost, it is because an average 1 Tesla is totalled every week in HK, on top of the cars getting written off, there is a LOT of panel repairs from car park crunches and so on.

Most of the owners here have no clue how to drive, let alone park properly.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    @imparanoic is spot on.

A model 3 is going to cost you way more than 330K, unless you happen to have been driving and have registered in your name a 6 year + old petrol car that can be scrapped.

Also keep in mind, insurance on any Tesla in HK is going to sting, like 2 - 4 + times what I pay for my e-Golf.
    i did some research and it was AXA that was raising the insurance price like crazy. Since then I heard most Tesla drivers switch to Liberty insurance costing around $15k.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I am curious what KIA plan to maintain on a pure electric car every 5000km, gosh even the wiper blades should last 30,000km!
    It's more about maintaining your wallet. I think many brands in HK do that. I looked at the Renault Zoe, I think they do that too, Hyundai too. I wouldn't buy any car with such rip-off clauses.

Everything else being equal I'd get a used sports car over a new compact car. Depreciation is a bitch and all other costs like parking and road tolls will be the same. 400k-500k will get you a used Porsche 911, Aston Martin DB9, Maserati Granturismo or maybe even an Audi R8. Insurance will be less than a new Tesla, they will depreciate way less and will be about as hard to sell when you wanna leave HK and you can repair it for relatively low cost at an independent shop instead having to use the expensive dealer just to keep your warranty. Since you don't NEED a car in HK, why not get one that is at least fun to drive?

shri likes this.

i did some research and it was AXA that was raising the insurance price like crazy. Since then I heard most Tesla drivers switch to Liberty insurance costing around $15k.
    Tesla not so great reliability as well as prone to accidents (due to high speed performance) = very high insurance premiums

Yes there’s around 5-6 electric chargers at my apartment complex car park, so charging shouldn’t be a problem. Or I can always go to Tesla supercharging stations if I plan in advance.

For me it’s either I get a more expensive electric car (like a Tesla) or I don’t get one at all. Definitely no petrol cars. Like you said, there will be maintainence/oil changes/gas costs. For electric cars, the expense will mostly just be annual license/parking space rental/higher insurance but low electric charging costs which I’m ok with. And if I take Uber or taxis, I feel like it’s wasting money without getting any joy out of it. It’s either going to be taking just public transportation or buying a nice car for myself.

It’s really more of wanting and enjoying it rather than having a practical use. But in terms of practically, I can still commute between TKO and Kowloon for work, and take it out for longer drives in NT on days off.
    I have a car and I use a mix of transportation options depending on how I'm feeling, where I'm going, etc. Uber black is very comfortable and enjoyable too. I like being able to call an Alphard car to drive me around and I don't have to worry or think about parking.

Personally I do not like the Tesla but that's a personal choice. I would much rather prefer a Porsche Macan, Mercedes GLC, even the E class is nice. Plenty of much nicer options available.
    greentealatte likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast