Like Tree141Likes

Deciding if I should own a car in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Deciding if I should own a car in HK?

So I drive a lot back in the US and I seriously miss driving.
    I've been living in HK permanently for a few years now. Sometimes stress gets to me as the public transportation is so overcrowded and uncomfortable during rush hour commutes. Don't get me wrong, the subway system here is excellent, clean, and convenient. I also don't know why people here are so glued to their screens when walking, or just gets kinda pushy as I'm exiting the train doors. Sometimes I just want to get away from all of that.

As someone who is in his early 30s, still single, no debt, and making a high salary, do you think it's reasonable to own a car even though the conventional norm is that you don't need a car in HK?
    I mostly commute between TKO and Kowloon/NT (rarely to HK island), and want to have more opportunities to explore further out of the city in NT. Those are the main reasons for wanting a car.
    I'm used to living well below my means, so purchasing a car is definitely a big decision.
    I'm specifically looking into getting an electric car (probably Tesla model 3), and I already know I'll be paying quite a lot for insurance/annual registration fee/parking space rental/parking fees.

Hope some experienced drivers here can give me some advice!
    And if you're strongly against owning a car, I'd like to know why too.

If you can afford it go for it. No reason not to.

Does you home provide a carpark and further do they have a charger for a car? Electric cars are quite expensive and as a new driver to HK, you may want to start with a cheaper car. Cars depreciate fast and it's time consuming and difficult to sell.

You'll need to consider the distance you drive, traffic, and parking at home and work (3-5k each per month so probably 6-10k per month). Add up those costs plus the annual license, maintenance, oil changes and petrol, it's also quite reasonable and less headache to use Uber or taxis regularly too. Plus there's the liability of driving.

Having a car is nice but it depends upon your lifestyle. I wouldn't think driving to work during normal office hours is that great.

Coolboy, mrgoodkat and hin23leung like this.

My blood pressure would probably go through the roof if I drove here, it's a big factor in why I don't own a car.

But aside from that and running costs, it would be hugely convenient for getting further afield on weekends.

Last edited by jgl; 26-06-2019 at 10:20 PM.
    jimbo, huja, bdw and 1 others like this.

Parking availability?

If you get a cheap run-about it doesn't have to be that expensive and you get the same functional utility.

Parking availability is a major factor, because the cost of owning a car here is highly affected by that. Having said that, Tesla Model 3 is great but just for the sake of driving to explore out-lying areas, why not a more affordable vehicle which you can find aplenty online as I guess you would use it more over weekends. For daily commute to work, I find public transport to be more convenient and faster than driving most of the time.

imparanoic likes this.

Don’t know where you lived in the US or what kind of driving you did (city, freeway, track), but if your reason for wanting a car in HK is because you miss driving, then driving in HK may not give you the fix you’re looking for. I got a bike for the same reason and gave up after a few months. It really isn’t the same enjoyment and was overall just frustrating with traffic and different style of driving here.

hin23leung and penguinsix like this.

Yes agree, in the states you might just pick up and drive for the heck of it. In HK you need to plan it, otherwise you go in the wrong tunnels, have to pay tolls, and petrol is costly. I used to have a car with a bigger enginer and it was almost HK$3 per KM. If you go NT to HK side, that is 40km x 2 = 80km x $3 = HK$240 in petrol + tolls. It's costly. So when buying a car, consider the petrol consumption, there are cars for HK$0.6-0.7 per KM that make it much more affordable when driving.

If you have parking and charging facilities near your home and money is no object then i would definitely go for it, i drive just short distances daily in yuen long and the surrounding areas and its nice to get out and about to explore parts of hk, but just avoid peak hours tho. you only live once so why not!!

Quote Originally Posted by greentealatte:
    So I drive a lot back in the US and I seriously miss driving.

As someone who is in his early 30s, still single, no debt, and making a high salary . . .

I'm specifically looking into getting an electric car (probably Tesla model 3).
    I'm not quite sure what you'r asking from the GXP denizen. There's no practical reason to buy a car, and particularly a Tesla based on the reasons you list below.

I mostly commute between TKO and Kowloon/NT (rarely to HK island), and want to have more opportunities to explore further out of the city in NT. Those are the main reasons for wanting a car.
    That said, if you want the car and can afford the car, go ahead and get the car. I don't think need and practicability have anything to do with it.
    greentealatte likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast