Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Potholes, roads, rain and typhoons....

Potholes, roads, rain and typhoons....

Am I the only one who thinks that pot-holes and road damage from last year's typhoons and rains has not been fixed, or fixed so haphazardly that the damage is showing a lot quicker this year?

Curious after seeing some rather large potholes appear over the weekend, on the flyover from the Aberdeen Tunnel to CWB/Kowloon Tunnel.

Coolboy, sunyhk and MatthieuTofu like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

And yes, "pot hole birthday cakes" are a thing...

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+...w=1650&bih=815

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Am I the only one who thinks that pot-holes and road damage from last year's typhoons and rains has not been fixed, or fixed so haphazardly that the damage is showing a lot quicker this year?

Curious after seeing some rather large potholes appear over the weekend, on the flyover from the Aberdeen Tunnel to CWB/Kowloon Tunnel.
    No one has bothered to fix the missing windows at ICC or that missing metal panel at the Central Gov Offices either.
    UK/HKboy and angeluscomplex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu
    No one has bothered to fix the missing windows at ICC or that missing metal panel at the Central Gov Offices either.
    Have they fixed the front door at Legco yet?
    markranson and Elegiaque like this.

HK roads are getting worse and I'm glad that you've brought up the topic. Try going on Route 7 (Kwai Chung to Kwun Tong) or Chai wan to Stanley from Tai Tam Road. Your vehicle tends to be on the vibration mode for some weird reason.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqeel17
    HK roads are getting worse and I'm glad that you've brought up the topic. Try going on Route 7 (Kwai Chung to Kwun Tong) or Chai wan to Stanley from Tai Tam Road. Your vehicle tends to be on the vibration mode for some weird reason.
    The problem in HK is that all the power cables, sewage ducts, telephone lines, and internet cables are built under the road. So they are constantly dug up to filled in. The contractors who performed these construction are usually of poor quality and seldom bother to make the road surface smooth.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 14-07-2019 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri

Speaking of Mangkhut last year, that was certainly a nasty surprise. I have never experienced such a strong typhoon before in HK. My local friends told me they haven't either. The ferocity of the storm came as a shock to them just as it was to me. The HK mentality is that a T8 or above is regarded as a holiday and no big deal. But Mangkhut seem to have made HK reconsider the desirability of wanting such a typhoon holiday.

I guess that is a good thing in the end, since typhoon preparation should be taken more seriously. Now if only they can fix the roads better after the storm...

Was watching an interesting video the other day by a car geek who had to replace his wheels and tire after going over a pothole in a highway in Illinois.

The interesting bit - if the state has been negligent (pothole reported and not fixed in 30 days, assuming no rain) the state may be negligent and liable and may pay for the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Speaking of Mangkhut last year, that was certainly a nasty surprise. I have never experienced such a strong typhoon before in HK. My local friends told me they haven't either. The ferocity of the storm came as a shock to them just as it was to me. The HK mentality is that a T8 or above is regarded as a holiday and no big deal. But Mangkhut seem to have made HK reconsider the desirability of wanting such a typhoon holiday.

I guess that is a good thing in the end, since typhoon preparation should be taken more seriously. Now if only they can fix the roads better after the storm...
    I recently took the bus from Stanley to Cyberport (73), I was sitting on the front seat at the top deck and I've never seen the bus hit so many branches before (it used to be my childhood route 10-12 years ago), before Mangkhut you'd normally hit 1-2 small branches, but now you hit a lot more smaller ones and more importantly (and dangerously!) the bus is now ramming into bigger more solid branches. Someone needs to sort out the branches sooner or later.
    Coolboy likes this.

If only Hong Kong had a surplus so it could afford to fix these things

Coolboy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast