Like Tree7Likes

Driving license road test - 8 month wait

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Driving license road test - 8 month wait

I have a helper who has a valid Filipino driving license and wants to get a HK license. I've spoken to two driving schools - HKSM and Leekin - who are telling me that after taking the written test there is a 7-8 month wait before being able to take the road test. Is this correct?

rani likes this.

Yes, that sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    I have a helper who has a valid Filipino driving license and wants to get a HK license. I've spoken to two driving schools - HKSM and Leekin - who are telling me that after taking the written test there is a 7-8 month wait before being able to take the road test. Is this correct?
    Can't he/she exchange her licence for a Hong Kong one? Is there some restriction on Filipino driving licenses?

Ok i checked the approved country list.....i wonder how they determine that list.

I mean some of the countries on there can't have super high standards when it comes to driving.

Why does your helper need a HK license? You know she can only drive on her off days, don't you? If she only wants a license that's more widely accepted than a Philippines licences it's probably easier to take the test on Jeju and get a Korean license. Only needs 13 hours (Can be done over 5 days) and costs around HKD 10K, including hotel, cheaper than in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    Why does your helper need a HK license? You know she can only drive on her off days, don't you? If she only wants a license that's more widely accepted than a Philippines licences it's probably easier to take the test on Jeju and get a Korean license. Only needs 13 hours (Can be done over 5 days) and costs around HKD 10K, including hotel, cheaper than in HK.
    Helpers can drive as part of their domestic duties (e.g. take kids to school) https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/id934a.html

They earn more when they have an HK driving license and we are happy to pay more for gaining that skill.

Surprised a non-resident non-citizen can pop over to Korea to get a license, you sure about that?

Helpers can drive as part of their domestic duties (e.g. take kids to school) https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/id934a.html

They earn more when they have an HK driving license and we are happy to pay more for gaining that skill.

Surprised a non-resident non-citizen can pop over to Korea to get a license, you sure about that?
    I see, I wouldn't let someone who has never driven before drive my kids to school, but to each their own I guess.

I'm sure you can get a Korean license as a non citizen in Jeju. It's currently all the rage with Chinese tourists, because it's cheaper and faster than on the Mainland and you can legally get an IDP which you can't in China. I have a few friends who have done it. The whole thing is tailored to Chinese clients, but the tests are available in English and it shouldn't be too difficult to buy a package online. It won't help in your case though, because direct issue in HK is only possible if the applicant has resided in the country the license is from for 6 months or is a citizen of that country.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat
    I see, I wouldn't let someone who has never driven before drive my kids to school, but to each their own I guess.
    The helper has a Philippines driving license and has worked as a family driver in Philippines. As posted above HK doesn't allow direct transfer for Philippines license holders. Feel free to wonder why it thinks Bangladesh and Nigeria have higher driving standards than the Philippines. https://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...x_c/index.html

Anyway I'm not really looking for opinions on the suitability of this choice but thanks anyway.

As posted above HK doesn't allow direct transfer for Philippines license holders. Feel free to wonder why it thinks Bangladesh and Nigeria have higher driving standards than the Philippines. .
    Probably more to do with the fact that at one point they all belonged to the British Empire as well, than driving standards.

I met an Indian guy who successfully converted his fake Indian driving license.

And even before that there is a three or four month wait for the written test. It is a long process.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast