Like Tree56Likes

Buy or Rent a car in HK for 3 yrs

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mitchKlaus:
    No ideas about owning a car or rent one is practical for me. Is there any long term rental service in HK is good? Will it be terrible to sell a car in HK ?
    Monthly rentals are not cheap if you rent from reputable leasing companies, a car cost around HK$27000+ a month for a 1.5L car

Better of buying a normal reasonable 2nd hand car and then selling it off cheap later on when your leaving.

Great fun driving around on the weekends, just avoid the protests lol
    Kowloon Goon likes this.

Car vs Anti Cars lol

We have a car and we definitely use it. Moved into a block where the flats come with car park spaces and found a deal on a used on from another expat. There are a lot of places in HK that are a pain to get to with small kids if you don't have your own car. There's an awkward age between 1.5-3 where they don't fit into portable car seats but are too small to sit in a regular seat belt - and when you see how taxis drive you won't feel comfortable letting them ride without either. And try waiting in the hot sun for a minibus with cranky toddlers.

thank you for all of your advise. Let me check with the location and subsidies on the contract.
    thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Car vs Anti Cars lol
    It's more 'hassle & expense vs minor convenience depending on where you live'

You don't have to be anti-car to think that having a car in HK is not a good idea. We've had one for 10 years, now debating whether to get rid of it. Originally got it to take our dog out and about in, & for daughter's activities etc due to living in the NTs. Now the daughter prefers being independent on buses/MTR & the dog is too old & can't get in the car. And the village carpark just doubled its fees, so it seems like a huge money drain paying a lot of money for a car that is just a shopping trolley now.
    imparanoic, shri, bdw and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    It's more 'hassle & expense vs minor convenience depending on where you live'

You don't have to be anti-car to think that having a car in HK is not a good idea. We've had one for 10 years, now debating whether to get rid of it. Originally got it to take our dog out and about in, & for daughter's activities etc due to living in the NTs. Now the daughter prefers being independent on buses/MTR & the dog is too old & can't get in the car. And the village carpark just doubled its fees, so it seems like a huge money drain paying a lot of money for a car that is just a shopping trolley now.
    where is your village and how you have to pay? just wondering?

Initially was thinking of getting a "weekend car" where I can drive my family around. In the end calculating the cost of the car and parking decided against it. Instead I will just rent a car for the weekend. If I do have a bit in my wallet I will booked an Audi where they deliver directly to me. If not just booked a Mazda from the dealer directly.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Car vs Anti Cars lol
    Oh I love cars, just not worth the hassle in Hong Kong. I can understand having kids and wanting a people hauler for car seats. Its also odd to me that HK doesn't require kids to have car seats. Anyway, the main problem for me is driving in Hong Kong isn't fun. There aren't great roads, parking sucks, and drives are pretty short and speed limits low.
    threelittlepigs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    Oh I love cars, just not worth the hassle in Hong Kong. I can understand having kids and wanting a people hauler for car seats. Its also odd to me that HK doesn't require kids to have car seats. Anyway, the main problem for me is driving in Hong Kong isn't fun. There aren't great roads, parking sucks, and drives are pretty short and speed limits low.
    depends where, i live in fanling, my parents place in sha tau kok, with the new lung shan tunnel which where you can do 80km (or pushing it 90km) connects from fanling highway, it's an awesome drive then once you get off the junction on sha tau kok rd, just pure country side where you open your windows and blast music in loudly manner ( i normally play metal, rock or experimental dance).

yes, driving in MK is a nightmare, but TST, Kowloon Bay, Hung Hom, Lai Chi Kok is fine, not really much traffic at certain times.

however, even though have driven/owned a car since summer 07, i have only driven in HK island 2 dozen times.
    emx and Skyhook like this.

i also have decent car seats for my kids, since they were born to now, they use booster seats with back rests