Like Tree56Likes

Buy or Rent a car in HK for 3 yrs

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Stuffed in a packed MTR with no seat. Eww no thanks.

Getting on a bus with no seat that makes a 30 minute route into an hour. No thanks.

Having to walk outside in the rain. Hell no. I hate wet clothes, socks or shoes.

Full minibuses and taxis driving by. Ahhh....

I used to drive daily, I think I put on about 40k KM on my car in a period of 4 years. Love being able to hop in and go, regardless of weather.
    it depends, while i do drive, weekend only (but my wife does the daily school run), i work in Wan Chai and live in fanling, I once hired a man in a van to take me and client's fabricated item as part of claim from my home to office near the pier, it took him around 1.15 mins drive , sha tin was rammed at 8.15am (that's why if i service my golf at 8.45am in tsuen wan, but leave the house at 6.40am), so was sheung wan after western tunnel to central, arrived in wan chai at 9.15am, stressfull drive to be honest, gogo van was only HK$300 but it was hard work for the driver, i rather catch the train and get a seat (i go to sheung shui and do reverse trip to hung hom) and get a nice 43 mins train trip seated listerning to my high res audio player.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    I used to drive daily, I think I put on about 40k KM on my car in a period of 4 years. Love being able to hop in and go, regardless of weather.
    Same here, heck I'd even drive up the hill in my village just to throw the rubbish, this sexy body wasnt meant for walking
    Kowloon Goon and MandM! like this.

If you're just looking to get around and not transport children, motorcycle is the way to go, you will never hit any traffic. On my way to work every morning, the highway is always backed up a couple KM. You can also park it for free in most places

I heard that the motorcycle riding here was extremely dangerous, but I can say after a few months of riding here, it's no worse than in the states. You can pick up some pretty decent bikes in the 400-600 cc range for sub 25K. I even saw a CB400 in decent shape for 10K the other day.

Now, that being said, I'm not anti car. I will most likely get a car next year as I think I can get my boss to package it in for my contract in 2019. Also, who wants to ride a motorcycle in the rain, on the rainy days I usually end up on the MTR or or the bus.

Ideally, if you're going to end up getting a helper, you can get one who has a license here and can also serve as your driver so then you can avoid the parking fee at work, which can be as expensive as hiring a helper, and if you're stuck in traffic just use that time to bang out some email.

I want to move to Sai Kung next year, but as my wife works in central thats going to be a no-go unless we have a car and a driver/helper.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4