Like Tree35Likes

Tesla Cybertruck

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

@East_coast - I did not know about Magna. Who do they work with?

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    @East_coast - I did not know about Magna. Who do they work with?
    Many brands

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852
    @Skyhook - fair points.

I was having this chat with someone and here's an interesting perspective:

Cars were created to serve a purpose of moving persons from A to B. The form factor of cars all along has been principally the same - four wheels, seats facing forward, steering wheels et al.

More and more, with the amount of cameras, sensors and AI that will be used even by "conventional" cars, the biggest problem that they are already solving and will continue to get better at will be accident avoidance. When this gets even more robust, self-driving cars will find more prevalence and that's when the form factor of cars will really begin to change i.e. four wheels, seats facing forward, steering wheels...

And then manufacturers will have no choice but to focus on Passenger Experience. That's what's gonna count the most.

Leaving the Cybertruck design aside, would this be Telsa's Endgame - AI and Passenger Experience....

And let manufacturing go back to be done by those who do it best....
    You know, I was hoping that, Tesla, with this new 'cybertruck' launched a multiple use vehicle platform, one that could be easily body changed by the customer. What do I mean ? It would have been a perfect opportunity if Tesla just manufactured a standardised rolling chassis/electric drivetrain and they, or 3rd party ( compatible ) brands could produce lift off plug and play ( light weight ) interchangeable body parts that you could order online and have delivered to your home.

So, you order the car with a ' standard primary function body ie 4 door passenger sedan lets say, but you can also order easily added/removed modular body parts/tubs/doors etc that interchange from a sedan, to a coupe, or a convertible saloon, or a pick up truck, or a Baja beach buggy or a MPV/wagon etc or whatever you feel like that weekend, month or year.

Here is an actual patent from 1987-1989 of the multi vehicle body idea, so it isnt a new idea, but it explains what I mean. > https://patents.google.com/patent/US4842326A/en

To have one drivetrain/chassis that just needs software and simple customer interchangeable body panels would be the best thing since sliced bread! . How exciting would it be if you could easily swap out your existing car body type and change it easily with off the shelf quick release and fit ( modular ) exterior body parts!. That's what I want to see in the near future, which will greatly rationalise the core industry culling the need for so many car makers, to just body part suppliers and maybe a handful of chassis/Drivetrain makers. In theory, we'd be going back to how horse drawn carriages were made, ie you bought the rolling stock first and then commissioned a coach builder to build the body.

So, an opportunity lost.......... this time.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 07-12-2019 at 05:08 AM.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Doubt any of that would pass modern safety and emissions standards. Can't have people adding in stuff to their cars willy nilly, and 99.9% of people wouldn't want to anyway.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4