Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By jaykay

Looking for a good garage for a used car inspection?

Closed Thread

Looking for a good garage for a used car inspection?

hi,

i'm planning to purchase a Benz GLA 250 2014 and looking for a good garage for inspection.

Any suggestion?

NT , KLN, HK are all fine.

Was told HKMI and HKAA do a below avg job. Apparently, they don't check underneath the car because they don't have a garage to lift it up and a few other things. So i was recommended to get it checked by a garage so they can inspect the car thoroughly. true?

Original Post Deleted
    HKAA does have lift
    it is also clear from their checklist, they put it on a lift and inspect underneath.

thanks. I called HKMI and they said they will come out to you to inspect but it has to be in a parking garage which it sounded dodgy. So i thought HKAA is the same.

Any other garage recommendation ?

I took my Volvo to HKAA in Causeway Bay for an inspection and they had a lift. It's in Causeway Bay near the Yacht Club/SPCA.

@quincylau - what part of town are you or the car in?

Quote Originally Posted by quincylau:
    thanks. I called HKMI and they said they will come out to you to inspect but it has to be in a parking garage which it sounded dodgy. So i thought HKAA is the same.

Any other garage recommendation ?
    HKMI will do a complete inspection, they'll bring a lift kit to check the car underneath and will provide you with photos of the underside, suspension etc. They'll also measure paint thickness all around to see whether the car has been damaged and repainted.
    shri likes this.

Hi,

I'm looking for the same at the moment. What did you eventually do? Is HKAA good enough?

Best regards,
    Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdaels:
    Hi,

I'm looking for the same at the moment. What did you eventually do? Is HKAA good enough?

Best regards,
    Lucas
    In my view HKAA is good, I trust HKAA to be independent

HKAA is nothing but a cursory inspection and their most experienced inspector retired a while back. Better to use HKMI who will send someone to the car and prepare a multi page report. Or use On The Road Mobile Mechanic, Chris is a UK mechanic who will also check a car for you.

Skyhook likes this.

Bumping this thread rather than starting a new one.

We've settled on a car, given a deposit, sent in a clearance request (won't hold my breath on that coming before transfer date) and scheduled a transfer date (since TD is still not doing walk ins (>_<)).

So before the handover and settlement of remaining cash we need an inspection and many have suggested HKMI, I WhatsApp'd them last night but couldn't get one for today, and the guy only texted in Canto. Their inspection is $1350 but an additional $500 for "computer" surely this means the car's onboard computer and not a simple OBDII test right? Cause I could buy an OBDII reader for that price. It's a 2010 Japanese car so I don't think it has a complex onboard computer? Any one know if the "computer test" is really warranted?

One thing about HKMI I didn't like was them asking for advanced payment. None of my experiences with services here have given me confidence in such as transaction being a good idea.

Any other suggestions for an inspection service in a garage, preferably one near Wong Tai Sin?

Cheers!

Last edited by Cornmeal; 29-08-2020 at 01:45 PM.