Like Tree20Likes

EV 1 for 1 Replacement: Tesla Model 3

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

EV 1 for 1 Replacement: Tesla Model 3

I'm currently thinking of getting a Tesla Model 3, but was thinking how I can get the tax fee waived with the scheme (which basically says you can scrap your old car for a new EV under certain conditions). However I don't own an old car.

I've been seeing people offering "one-for-one scheme" quotas on a Tesla group on Facebook. I contacted a car insurance agent and was told that I can qualify for the tax fee waiver without actually owning an old car, meaning that he can just find an old car owner for me. Would that mean that I'll have to buy a new car and have it registered under the old car owner's name and then have it transferred back to me? I'm curious what's the process behind this? I'm definitely a bit confused how this would work because the agent said it's perfectly legal.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?

Otherwise I can also settle for a used Tesla Model 3.
    Whichever way is less troublesome given if there's not much price difference.

I don't think there are any restrictions on the resale of a EV purchased under the frt wIver scheme.

Personally, would prefer to outright purchase a used model 3. Buying a new one through an intermediary has too many steps involved. Unless there is an agent who takes full responsibility for brokering the registration transfer to your name.

You have to consider that one more owner on the VRD will affect resale value down the line.

Second owner considerations

Tesla has offered warranty extensions (actually maintenance insurance policies) on their other models but only to the original owner. If you are the second or later owner, as indicated by a 1 or higher number in the previous owner column on the registration, you may not be eligible for any extended warranty or other offers at a later date.

Check with Tesla directly regarding warranty coverage, extended warranty coverage for non-original owners. Get any response in writing as Tesla, along with other manufacturers, can change terms and conditions at a later date without telling owners.

Used cars Tesla sells directly from their demo models are also registered and a new buyer becomes the second owner. I recommend asking Tesla directly that if you buy it from them would you be eligible for later offers similar as if you were the original owner.

As an example, in HK on the Model S, Tesla had extended warranties that could be purchased at time of sale or later on during the fourth year of the original warranty. This offer was then not available for a few months, then made available again with different terms and conditions.

shri likes this.

sounds like fraud

Clarification: Most car extended warranties are actually not extended warranties. They are insurance policies that cover selected components on the car. These are typically offered by third party insurance companies and not the vehicle manufacturer. Whereas a manufacturer or distributor may repair or replace items to generate goodwill or comply with the original terms of sales, the insurance company coverage is subject to typical insurance company practices. So there is a different incentive to cover claims with an insurance company versus the distributor/manufacturer.

Moreover, these policies, regardless of the vehicle brand, typically don't cover wear and tear items, cosmetic defects, noise and rattles, etc. that are often covered under the original warranty. Like any other insurance policy, it is important to read the details and understand what is covered and not covered.

As for the Tesla insurance policy to cover selected repairs after the initial warranty period is over, the insurance company, not Tesla, has changed the policy and pricing several times. The exclusions have also changed over time. Nevertheless, I know a few people that have bought this policy and been pleased with the coverage. As well as one person who was not. For that person they regretfully did not understand the coverage did not include suspension system components and were surprised when they had to pay for the repairs.

I'm currently looking at this, not for a Tesla. Maybe a Mercedes, or whatever is available after 18 months, since I'll need to find a cheap scrap car first.

Almost ready. I'll need to wait 18 months. Any ideas what decent non Telsas will be available then please?

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    Almost ready. I'll need to wait 18 months. Any ideas what decent non Telsas will be available then please?
    Most dealers can "arrange" a scrap car for you.

Sure, I'll still need to wait 18 months though right?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast