Like Tree34Likes

Your experience driving in HK vs US (or other countries)?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Well as expected, here is the fine I copped for speeding through a green light. This is bullshit, I thought that camera was only for capturing red light offenders. Bastards. Not owning a car and using HK minibuses were much cheaper, I move back to Aus and already been caught twice now

I hate speed cameras... yours looks like a clear case where a police officer probably wouldn't have bothered you or would have at worst given you a warning... 71 in a 60 in the middle of the night? I'm annoyed for you.

It strikes me that speeding in HK is a bargain! Minimum fine in the UK is £100. ( $965)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips:
    On the highway driving up from London yesterday... M1, 3 lanes, 3 speeds... 95% of motorists keeping solidly left... fast lane was the fast lane... as people join the highway, everyone pulls right to let them on... indicators were widely used, very few lorries using the middle lane and none in the fast lane...
    Nah! Worst thing about motorway driving in the UK is the middle lane hoggers. I use the London to Milton Keynes M1 a lot. On the 4 lane stretches on a quiet night they’ll sit in the 3rd lane!!!

Sounds like I'm in a minority but having got used to it I generally find HK driving far less stressful than London... Other than for the cross harbour tunnel the traffic is rarely that bad, there's a great deal of tolerance for going slowly if you're a bit lost or trying to work out which of 5 available versions of turning left your sat nav means, and for the most part sticking an indicator on results in a gap opening up even if you're cutting in line. Definitely stark contrast to the much more "competitive" nature of UK city road attitudes.

Probably also helps that I'm in a squishy automatic little SUV rather than the string of silly little sports cars I had in London, but still I think it's pretty logical and easy once you get a view of the main routes in your head.

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Sounds like I'm in a minority but having got used to it I generally find HK driving far less stressful than London... [...] there's a great deal of tolerance for going slowly if you're a bit lost or trying to work out which of 5 available versions of turning left your sat nav means, and for the most part sticking an indicator on results in a gap opening up even if you're cutting in line.
    Of course you would think that, you are the problem everyone here has been describing. Going slowly, having no clue where to go, suddenly stopping or cutting a lane to make a turn etc.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4