Like Tree34Likes

Your experience driving in HK vs US (or other countries)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Your experience driving in HK vs US (or other countries)?

What's your experience driving in HK vs US (or overseas)?
    Do you enjoy driving more (or less) here compared to the country you came from?

Any advice or tips for someone who is new to driving in HK?
    Or if you've had any bad experience driving here and absolutely don't recommend it, please share

Driving here is fun as Hong Kong offers everything. Huge bridges, long tunnels, steep mountain roads, windy coastal roads, and dense urban environments. There are few traffic jams outside of rush hour and it's fairly easy to find parking.

rkenia852 likes this.

Personally, I detest driving in large cities. It's not really fair to compare driving in North America, Oceania and Europe vs a very large city which is what HK is...Driving in Montana on a deserted highway with no speed limit, on a German autobahn or the Great Ocean Rd in Oz... Fun...Driving in Miami in traffic on a 6-8 lane highway with people zigzagging at 140km/hr not so much fun. Not to mention road rage which is far more common in western countries. Same as the roundabouts of Rome with Vespa scooters going every which way. Some cities are better, some worse. As mentioned, HK's driving is pretty civilized compared to many other large Asian cities where I definitely wouldn't want to drive. The reality is that heavy traffic and narrow roads are not conducive to a pleasant experience and many drivers are very selfish. I think you have to be a bit of a masochist to find driving here or most big cities enjoyable. In Asia, I prefer to be driven or take public transport, it's cheap and often more efficient.

TaD_LaLa and markranson like this.

Original Post Deleted
    That's not uncommon to have different demerit points and fine prices depending on how much you were above the speed limit. Seems to be they are trying to give you a break and you want to challenge them? If I were the police and you did that, I would revert to the original speed with the points and possibly a higher fine. I don't really understand people who can't accept responsibility and try to find excuses when they are in the wrong. Different strokes for different folks. We all have different moral compasses I guess

Original Post Deleted
    Stop speeding in my neighbourhood. There are often cyclists on that road.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    No interest in wasting time on silly arguments. As I said, different moral compass and regardless of examples or whatever I say, you will find justification to do whatever you want so have at it. I take responsibility for my actions, you won't. Your life, your choice.

Original Post Deleted
    so let me get this straight, you are not getting any demerit points because u didnt exceed over 15 km/h of the speed limit but you are getting a fine of HK$320 and you want to challenge the fine?? did I read that correctly???

Original Post Deleted
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...speeding-rules

https://kwiksure.com/blog/speeding/

Regarding the fine, its $320 for up to 15 kmh and not exceeding it, i was once flashed doing 58 in a 50 zone so it got reduced to 55 kmh and still had to pay $320

https://www.clic.org.hk/en/topics/co..._speed_limits/

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Driving here is fun as Hong Kong offers everything. Huge bridges, long tunnels, steep mountain roads, windy coastal roads, and dense urban environments. There are few traffic jams outside of rush hour and it's fairly easy to find parking.
    As someone who is thinking about getting a car here, I plan on mostly commuting/driving around eastern Kowloon (TKO, Tsz Wan Shan, Clearwater Bay Rd, Sai Kung) area. Is it relatively easy to learn and drive around this area? I have no plans driving on HK island unless it's maybe a rare trip to Repulse Bay/Stanley/Shek O or something. Yeah most of my driving with be from and to TKO.

Quote Originally Posted by greentealatte:
    As someone who is thinking of getting a car here, I plan on mostly commuting and driving around eastern Kowloon (TKO, Tsz Wan Shan, Clearwater Bay Rd, Sai Kung) area. Is it relatively easy to drive around this area? I have no plans driving on HK island unless it maybe a rare trip to Repulse Bay/Stanley or something.
    Should be fine. Quite easy to get around. Lots of roundabouts in the area. The secret of getting out of the roundabouts from the interior lane is to look over your left shoulder and be aware the the guy in your blind spot may not exit.

However, as you are commuting, there may be traffic. I'm not familiar with that area during rush hour so perhaps someone else might comment on that.

Also note, sometimes you may have to do a sudden turnoff in this city as signs provide very short notice. However, as you slow down the traffic will zip past all around you. Just note not the panic and know that you can just come to a complete stop and wait until everyone passes by you and when it's clear you can then start your manoeuvre. People here are quite patient when it comes to stopping on the road and very few will honk or give you dirty looks.

Oh, and one more thing. If you're late, don't rush. Being late in Hong Kong's society is excusable. Hence there is no need to rush and get into an accident, which is a major pain in the ass over here even just for a tiny dent. Perhaps you should read up on what you need to do in a accident before deciding to buy a car.
    Last edited by civil_servant; 16-04-2020 at 01:14 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast