Like Tree20Likes

Car buying for complete newbie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    rs4

is that the average? 20%?

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    There is someone selling a 2016 Audi A7 in the classifieds for $249k, not a bad deal. You could probably knock of another 20%.

Quote Originally Posted by rs4:
    is that the average? 20%?
    Pretty much. Though it depends on a few factors. With private sellers it depends on how badly they want to sell the car, do they have to relocate, did they buy a new one etc. With dealers it depends on the time the car has been sitting around. But 20% lower than the displayed price is pretty much the norm.

That car is a pretty good deal imho, because in 2016 the Audi A7 50 TFSI sold for 920k at the dealer.

rs4

thanks!
    I will keep that in mind for future car purchase

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Pretty much. Though it depends on a few factors. With private sellers it depends on how badly they want to sell the car, do they have to relocate, did they buy a new one etc. With dealers it depends on the time the car has been sitting around. But 20% lower than the displayed price is pretty much the norm.

That car is a pretty good deal imho, because in 2016 the Audi A7 50 TFSI sold for 920k at the dealer.

I am also considering getting a new car right now via Car28. I was unsure before reading this thread if a lot of the mileage displayed on the cars advertised would be doctored. Seems it will be. With this in mind, does anyone have any referrals for a trustworthy mechanic who could have a look over the car before I buy it? I'm considering an older A5 or C class (2011 - 2013) in the $50k-$100k bracket. Had a C class in UK and enjoyed it.

Hamish at HP Cars (Chai Wan and Sai Kung locations)... He'll definitely tell you to buy a Merc over an Audi though, so if your heart's set on an A5 go somewhere else ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Hamish at HP Cars (Chai Wan and Sai Kung locations)... He'll definitely tell you to buy a Merc over an Audi though, so if your heart's set on an A5 go somewhere else ;-)
    Always preferred Mercs but the A5's seem a good bit cheaper here!

Hi guys

Just put my deposit down on a private sale car. I have paid the deposit (5k) and I am in the process of arranging for an insurance cover note. What is the next step after that? - the seller is another expat who has very little idea.

We think we just need to fill out https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/co...ble_eng_r1.pdf TD25 and rock up at the Transport Department and exchange money and keys, transfer fee and the forms. Is it that simple or are we missing something.

The car is so cheap I won't bother with a car examination. Car comes with a stack of service records and recent MOT, so I'm not too fussed.

Quote Originally Posted by loser:
    Hi guys

Just put my deposit down on a private sale car. I have paid the deposit (5k) and I am in the process of arranging for an insurance cover note. What is the next step after that? - the seller is another expat who has very little idea.

We think we just need to fill out https://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/co...ble_eng_r1.pdf TD25 and rock up at the Transport Department and exchange money and keys, transfer fee and the forms. Is it that simple or are we missing something.

The car is so cheap I won't bother with a car examination. Car comes with a stack of service records and recent MOT, so I'm not too fussed.
    thats it. nothing else

You need your address proof and insurance cover note to complete the transfer at the TD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4