Like Tree20Likes

Car buying for complete newbie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Car buying for complete newbie

Thinking of buying a car. Usual story, kids now getting much more mobile. Uber / taxi / public transport now starting to be a bit of a hassle.

Haven't owned a car in, well, never (never needed to before).

Where to start?

Not expecting to buy a new car, probably good second hand one.

Would need it to fit the kids (and their car seats), someone up front and maybe someone else in the back.

Ideally a sedan or maybe a small MPV.

Where to go from here? Not in a rush, so happy to wait a bit of time to find a decent deal.

How much does one spend on a decent second hand car?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Thinking of buying a car. Usual story, kids now getting much more mobile. Uber / taxi / public transport now starting to be a bit of a hassle.

Where to start?

Would need it to fit the kids (and their car seats), someone up front and maybe someone else in the back.

Where to go from here? Not in a rush, so happy to wait a bit of time to find a decent deal.

Personal opinion... I simply do not understand why anyone with a family would consider a sedan/saloon...

If you're lugging people and things you want an estate or an SUV or and MPV...

My strategy has always been to buy the best car I can find with a year's worth of MOT for under 25k... odds are it will you get 1 or 2 years out of it... you can get some cool, safe cars in that price range; I've had 2 RX300s, a BMW X5, an ML320 and a Nissan Elgrand... all of them had 80k on the clock but when I've read the keys they've averaged 150k, still low mileage...

People are gonna tell you to spend 150k on a used car... up to you... HK and kids are hard on cars... it will look a lot rougher in 2 years... spend 25k, if it fucks up, walk away...

1. Budget
    2. how many seats
    3. max how many years old car are you willing to except

imparanoic likes this.

Here... perfect... and if it breaks, you can probably get a few thousand back for scrap...

https://geoexpat.com/classifieds/car...ners/ad/516222

7 seater, with dual auto sliding doors, door opening button on key (usually) is a life saver when dealing with small kids.

https://www.28car.com/sell_dsp.php?h...2383015&h_vw=y

I've read that cars depreciate rapidly once bought and driven off so it's best to buy second hand since you can't sell previously new cars for any higher or at cost.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Where to start?

In HK, you should focus on getting a parking space (and its cost) first.
    Jessica A. and imparanoic like this.

A few random tips:
    - check the government car recall list for cars with known problems (e.g. takata airbags) - https://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...all/index.html . If the car you really want is on this list, get its VIN and check if it needs work or has been taken care of
    - for baby/kid seats, find a car that has ISOFIX attachments, so the car seats can click in instead of being fixed using the seatbelt. Much easier to deal with and arguably safer. Pretty much anything since mid-2000s will have this, but worth mentioning
    - be wary of buying kid seats second hand. Check for scratches or signs its been in an accident
    - sliding doors are great for tight carparks and kids who swing doors without understanding their surroundings
    - choose one with low number of previous owners
    - japanese would be better, easier to service in most neighbourhoods and parts likely cheaper
    - get a good understanding of service history and logbooks. People don't seem to service properly here or keep logs, they just go to the cheapest or most convenient guy, which means they usually don't have all the diagnostic tools to do a proper service
    - if it seems too good to be true, it 100% is. Any hint of something not right, run a mile. It's not worth a risk for a family car
    - if you have a mechanic nearby check if they can do an inspection for you and how much it'll cost. For a car you really want, it might be worth spending $2k on an inspection to avoid a total lemon. If the seller isn't too keen, take it as a hint and move on
    - if you're in Sai Kung, I can recommend HP Cars as a mechanic. There's loads up here but he's the only one I've used and have been happy with them

Don't even know where to start ....

Few random things....

- Avoid old/cheap cars for starters. You don't want to break down and have to deal with screaming kids. Unless you're buying it as a practise car that you don't mind breaking down while you get used to driving / navigating HK.
    - Buy mid-market not new, not old... just somewhere in between.
    - If you're hauling around kids... get something with a shit-ton of storage
    - Preference would be Euro > Japanese > Korean
    - If you have a brand in mind and you're not keen on dealing with certifications / immediate repairs and services, approach the official dealers and ask them what they have in their warrantied second hand stock (there is a slight premium, but you'll get something with a legit warranty from the dealer/manufacturer)
    - If you know someone leaving town and willing to make a deal..
    - Try as hard as possible to get something with newer tires... preferably replaced in the last year or two, if possible.
    - Get yourself an AA membership

imparanoic, mrgoodkat and Cwbguy like this.

this was the cost of car ownership thread but updated now

This is my experience

2007-2011 ( then GF- now wife, also beginner, insurance on her name, start no years no claim bonus )

mostly weekend driver, sometimes a day or evening weekday drive short distance, parking then in 2007 was at HK$1200 per month, now in 2020 (2016 price not confirmed) at HK$2500 per month

99 Toyota Yaris 1.3 75bhp cost HK$25,000 (27k mileage , relative's friend owner since new, thus, on a cheap)

insurance - HK$5k, Road Tax HK$4k per year, average annual cost maintenance, around HK$2-2,500k parts and service, petrol monthly around HK$5-600 per month, sold in 2011 at HK$20k, done 50k mileage

08 ford focus 144bhp 2.0 ghia cost HK$68,,000 (44k mileage , - expat seller ( purchased in 2011)

insurance - HK$2k, Road Tax HK$6k per year, average annual cost maintenance, around HK$4-5k parts and service spend on new tyres, filters, suspension and brakes ), petrol monthly around HK$800-900 per month, sold in 2013 at HK$55k , done 66k mileage

2013 new mark 7 golf 122bhp 1.4 turbo cost HK$238,000 (brand new )

insurance - HK$3k, Road Tax HK$4k per year, average annual cost maintenance, around HK$8k official vw servicing twice a year ), petrol monthly around HK$500 per month, as we are in 2020, i still have this car, no issues, i don't vw for servicing as the warranty has expired, i go to a trusted mechanic every year, cost petrol now is around HK$700 for a full tank (does around 500km summer with full air con and sometimes air con will waiting during school run which my wife uses every day), now at 90,000km.

maybe you should consider how much is car parking first and how much mileage per month

emx likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast