Like Tree36Likes

Ethical mechanic need

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    a mate gave me his S500 (2005) for free, this was back in 2016 when I was still living in da villages, it was a great car and boy did it have some power so I sold of my other car, I drove the Merc for 6 months without any issue, I had it serviced at my mates garage in sai kung and the previous owner did not spare costs when it came to servicing as well.

6 months in one day while driving home from work going up towards TKO tunnel the car suddenly got stuck in a gear and wouldn't change up, it freaked it out and I still managed to get home, called up my neighbor garage owner and took it to him for checking, he said lets try changing the gear box oil which we did to see if that helps but it didnt, the car would only go up to 2nd gear and only once in a while go higher.

My garage mate then told me to take it a guy he knows who came out of Mercedes garage and set up his own shop in near hung hom. The merc guy had a look, hooked it up to get the diagnostics done, drove it to see what the problem was, raised the car up to look at the gear box.

Merc guy as was given the heads up from my neighbour told me, SCRAP IT, its not worth fixing as the labour charges to take the gear box out and look around and then finally fixing it will be more than the worth of the car, if gear box replacement was indeed needed then even more expensive lol

My neighbor called up a scrapper who he knows that came down from Kam Tin, a Pakistani guy, he looked at my merc, turned on the engine and gave me 8K cash, he didnt even drive it as it would be shipped overseas anyways

8K cash for a 11 year old car that when it was sold brand new cost over a Mil HKD
    That's what happened to our 2005 Audi TT roadster, which was only kept for fun and probably should have driven it more often during the last year we were living in HK, but the HK climate pretty much munted the electrics little by little until it was time to call my Pakistani mates in Kam Tin to come and collect it with $10k cash. The car visually looked great, but had a similar issue with the trans displaying sporadic behaviour which was going to require more money to fix than the car was worth to me. I only paid $17,000 for it from a departing Dutch friend and did get a couple of years fun use out of it, before it shat itself lol. Cheap fun :-)
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    If I rode my scooter to the shops, I'd have to park it somewhere safely while I'm away... I'd be more concerned about it being stolen really.
    Im starting to see a few more electric bikes especially with this damm virus, many people are turning to becoming food delivery guys/girls to make a living. when they get to the shop or place of delivery, they just lock it to the railing with a bike lock, very rare to get it stolen if you lock it up and gone away for a short while, if you leave it out on the streets overnight then maybe more chance of it getting stolen.
    Rob2020 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    I know you're having some fun... but I don't think these are legal in HK ...
    I am about to get prosecuted for riding one near the Central ferry pier. Under the road ordinance they are not gazetted type of vehicle so the "licensing" doesn't apply. What they are going to try to do me for is riding a vehicle without insurance and riding on the pavement.

I find this very interesting that the whole road ordinance doesn't apply yet the road insurance ordinance applies. Also given it is not a gazetted type of vehicle why is it illegal to ride on the pavement?

I probably should start a whole thread on this asking for help....
    Rob2020 likes this.

I have always had a good experience with Fookie Motors at Chai Wan. They speak English and you can email, phone and Whatsapp them. Nice people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Also given it is not a gazetted type of vehicle why is it illegal to ride on the pavement?
    These are probably not gazetted in Hong Kong either, it is illegal to ride them on the pavement I wonder?

Fenix2 likes this.

Those come under lawn mowers

Sometimes easier to cut your losses with older cars, they just don't survive this climate like they do in Europe. The amount of plastic I've replaced is crazy, it just cracks and breaks after a couple of years. Thankfully it's not expensive and it's DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by gch555:
    Sometimes easier to cut your losses with older cars, they just don't survive this climate like they do in Europe. The amount of plastic I've replaced is crazy, it just cracks and breaks after a couple of years. Thankfully it's not expensive and it's DIY.
    Yes but the older these cars get, the harder and more expensive they become to fix until you just dont see the anymore, How many E36 3 series BMW's do you see on the roads now ? E 46 will fade out too, and the cycle goes on.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4