Like Tree36Likes

Ethical mechanic need

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Exclamation Ethical mechanic need

I face the dilema of scrapping my car due the lack of "real" mechanics in Hong Kong.

Where I come from I can find mechanics for cars willing to get their hands into the problem to find the reason rather than connecting the car to the computer and replacing the whole system that the computer comes up with.

I wonder if anyone knows an honest mechanic that is whiling to work to really find the issues rather than get the easy "repair", which of course it's the most expensive.

any help?

Thanks for any tips.

PS. To give some contest, my car is a 2000 Mercedes, the computer diagnostic is that there is an issue in the transmission system. The mechanics I was talking to told me to change the whole gearbox, but talking to a mechanic friend in Europe told me that gearbox issue could be trigger by several other issues, like transmission oil levels, radiator issues, even the cooler of the transmission oil. Talked to 4 different mechanics and any of them want to do the real job, all want to change the gearbox at once...because the computer said so in the alert. This lack of "real" mechanic will force me to scrap the car, which disappoints me as this world needs more people to solve problems rather that easy/quick solutions.

HK_Katherine and Rob2020 like this.

Ethical mechanic is an oxymoron, you have checked the transmission oil yourself? is it discolored / burnt ?

jimbo, East_coast and Fenix2 like this.

Also cars that age are a total money pit.
    I had a same age BMW E46 323i until two years ago.

Serious coolant issues spent £££ on it then decided to call it a day and scrap it.

JAherbert and chuckster007 like this.

What part of town?

changed last year gearbox oil, didn't drive much and upon my return 8 months later same issue. got my car to a nearby mechanic shop and they told me to change the whole gearbox...and nope, didn't check myself but I guess that's also the first thing to check in any mechanical shop

Lantau, but is mechanical shop is trustworthy willing to tow to any place

statistically cannot be always same issue, so my guess it was never found the real problem (and fixed) and the mechanic was just guessing

The problem you have is that cars that age need never ending maintenance, When one things fixed it tends to be something else shortly afterwards.

Unless yours is a classic SL or something then it’s not worth it in the long run.

Even my local garage was delighted when my E46 was eventually gone.

emx and JAherbert like this.

The replacement gearbox will be more expensive than the car is worth.

Scrap it and save the hassle for you and the garage.

Last edited by emx; 12-07-2020 at 06:48 PM.
    chuckster007 likes this.

thank you all

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast